With Mediterranean coves and windswept oceanic waterfronts, Morocco boasts spectacular fun in water and sun for locals and tourists alike. But what does one wear on a Moroccan beach getaway? We've got you covered (and maybe not the way you're thinking!)
Can I wear a bikini in Morocco?
This question comes up a lot and I'll do my best to answer. If you're headed to the beach and plan to wear a bikini know that there is nothing that makes this wrong. You MIGHT get more looks than if you were wearing a one-piece but truthfully most Moroccan beach communities are really laid back and open-minded.
Wearing a bikini off the beach however will be more frowned upon. So once swimming is done and you head back into town it's a good idea to at least put on a swimsuit coverup.
If you're headed to a pool or private beach, wearing a two piece swimming suit is not a big deal at all. It is however not ok to sunbathe topless in public.
A Day on the Waves
For adventure seekers, a day riding the waves of Tagahzout's coastline or taking up wind and kite surfing in Essaouira is the ultimate draw. A trusty pair of water resistant shoes, a practical bathing suit and a cute, matching rash guard to protect your skin from the salty waves and air are a must. Don't forget to throw in a towel to dry off and warm up after experiencing the power of the ocean. Sunscreen and a bottle of water are also highly recommended!
Add these items to your luggage;
- Uneek W- Sandals – Great for walking on the beach and other rough surfaces and can wear into the water.
- Women's Bathing Suit Scalloped High Neck Backless One Piece Swimsuit – Super cute one piece suit that looks great and has good coverage.
- TYR Women's Arvada Belize Long Sleeve Rashguard Swimming Top – If you want a little more coverage from the sun or for modesty this is an option to consider.
- CamelBak Eddy Insulated Water Bottle – A great water bottle to keep your water cold.
- Blue Lizard Sensitive Sunscreen – Yes this sunscreen is a bit more expensive however it uses ingredients that are safe for ocean reefs, is water resistant and blocks UVA and UVB rays. If you have sensitive skin this is also safe for you!
- Compact Water-Resistant Outdoor Blanket – You already have plenty in your luggage so this little blanket will only take up a little more. It is super compact and large enough for two adults to fit on easily!
A Day at the Cove
For relaxation along the calm, warm waters of the Mediterranean in towns like Al Hoceima, a sunhat is highly recommended to keep your face protected from UV rays.
A stylish bathing suit and strappy sandals complete the look and will have you ready to dip your toes in the waters or relax on the sands all day. Throw a few snacks, a bottle of sunscreen and my favorite SPF lipbalm into your beach bag, and you're set!
Add these items to your luggage;
- Coolibar UPF 50+ Women's Wide Brim Hat – Not only will this hat protect you from the sun but it packs easily – something not easily said for hats!
- Betsey Johnson Women's Swimwear Tropical Escape One Piece Swimsuit – A cute suit that comes with a removable neck strap so you can wear it as a halter or strapless.
- Billabong Womens Beach Braidz Sandal – lightweight, cute and comfortable these sandals can sneak in your bag and work for a day at the beach or even a night out for dinner.
- KAVU Adult Rope Sling – You need a spot to store your snacks and this bag is great. It also would make for a good day bag when you're wandering the medinas of Morocco.
Beach Bums on the Sand
If you're like me, usually unwilling to dip anything past my toes in the deep blue (I just recently faced my fear of the ocean), the beaches of Morocco are the perfect spot in to devour your newest book or log a few words in your favorite journal. Need reading suggestions? I've got plenty!
Throw your book or e-reader into a cute cover to protect from sand and water, plop your sun glasses on your head and hit the beach in your favorite bathing suit covered by lightweight linen pants or a cute cover-up dress. Now that's what I call the perfect beach day!
Add these items to your luggage too – perfect for the beach vacation!
Women's Swimsuit Lace Covers the for Beach – Make sure to protect your skin if you'll be sitting out for long periods of time. This cover up works for those moments while still being stylish.
Vera Bradley E-Reader Sleeve – I don't go anywhere without my kindle and it needs sun protection too. I love having a case like this to slip it and a little Moleskin in for reading and writing waterside.
TKEES Women's Foundations Flip Flop – Wear these flip flops with anything!
Lilly Pulitzer Women's Beach Pant – Whether you're lounging near the pool or beach or heading out for a walk these pants are multi-functional and lightweight for the hot sun of Morocco.
Rectangular Sunglasses – Sunglasses are your best friend in Morocco, so you'll for sure want to bring at least one pair (or more!)
Be a part of the MarocMama family!
Do you want access to all things MarocMama? Join our community of readers to get updates on new posts, inside information that won't go on the blog and so much more!
Sound good? Pop your email below and you're in!