This post may contain affiliate links for suggested items you can purchase. You are not charged any additional cost for purchasing via these links, however by utilizing them you help keep this site running!
Last weekend both of my boys had Friday off of school. I have been busy with work lately and MarocBaba has been weighed down with school but we wanted to do something fun for the boys. Let’s face it we both needed a break from the daily grind too.
Friday morning we packed up a lunch and went to the Minnesota Zoo. You have to know that K loves animals. He’s nuts for animals and so the zoo was sure to appeal to him. Apparently we had the same idea as half the state of Minnesota because once we got to the zoo, it took us nearly 30 minutes just to get through the gates. The weather was supposed to be nice but after an unseasonably warm spring it felt cool.
We spent the entire day there and had time to visit the Middle Eastern grocery store on our way out of town. Once we were home we were all left with a chill. This in-between season when it’s not really winter and it’s not quite spring yet sometimes leaves me scrambling for what to make. We needed something warm but not something heavy. I have been hunting for new ideas for Moroccan recipes and my mother-in-law suggested this shrimp soup. I was skeptical but in the end I loved it too.
The base for this soup is Saffron Roads’ Classic Culinary Vegetable Broth. The ingredients that make up the broth compliment the ingredients and add a little extra flavor. This recipe is gluten-free, low fat and very inexpensive. When I began cooking this I was immediately overcome by how the ginger comes through in the smell and taste (in a good way!) If you can, use fresh grated ginger – it will make a huge difference and is worth the little extra effort.
- 1 medium onion grated
- 2 Tbsp good quality butter
- 1/2 leek
- 1/4 c rice
- 3/4 c fresh or frozen shrimp (I use cocktail size)
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp crushed ginger
- pinch of saffron
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black pepper
- extra salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by grating a medium onion into a bowl and roughly chopping 1/2 a cleaned leek.
- In a large pan add 2 Tbsp butter and turn heat to medium high.
- Once the butter begins to melt, add the onion and leek and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add the ginger, saffron, turmeric, and pepper and stir.
- Once everything is combined add the vegetable broth and rice.
- Cook 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Add the shrimp last. Once the shrimp are pink the soup is ready!
- Add salt and pepper as desired to taste.
Be a part of the MarocMama family!
Do you want access to all things MarocMama? Join our community of readers to get updates on new posts, inside information that won't go on the blog and so much more!
Sound good? Pop your email below and you're in!