This post may contain affiliate links for suggested items you can purchase. You are not charged any additional cost for purchasing via these links, however by utilizing them you help keep this site running!
It's summer and that means in the gardens of the Midwest, where I grew up, there are hundreds of zucchini being harvested. I grew up eating this vegetable, primarily when it was made into bread. But, as an adult I've grown to love and appreciate it in all ways.
One Moroccan salad that I've come across is a cooked zucchini salad with eggs. It sounded so strange when I first was told the recipe but I chalked that up to having never experienced it and went in with an open mind.
First, this recipe is super simple.
Second, it's a pretty sneaky way to get your kids to eat some vegetables!
Grab your zucchini and get ready to make this dish!
- 1 pound (1/2 kg) zucchini
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- pinch of paprika or cayenne pepper
- small handful of parsley (optional)
- Peel zucchini and use a hand held cheese grater to grate the zucchini into a bowl.
- Squeeze the zucchini to remove any excess water.
- Sprinkle the salt over the zucchini, transfer to a colander and let it sit for 15-30 minutes. This should help pull out even more of the excess water.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil with garlic and saute for 30-45 seconds. Then add the zucchini and combine with the oil and garlic.
- Crack the egg and whisk in a small bowl.
- Combine with the cooking zucchini and use a spatula to continually incorporate the egg and vegetable.
- Season with cumin and either paprika or cayenne (depending on how spicy you want it)
- Once the egg is cooked, remove from the heat and serve warm or at room temperature and garnished with parsley.
Snag your FREE Moroccan Couscous Recipe!
If you love food and want to know more about MarocMama's food related content, products, and promotions sign up now! You'll get a FREE downloadable recipe for traditional Moroccan couscous from my new cookbook to preview!