[vc_row][vc_column][vc_single_image image=”33393″ img_size=”full”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]In 2017 I started a reading challenged focused on books from Morocco.
Last year with my pregnancy and other life commitments I didn’t have the time to run the challenge again.
So, this year when I found out a few other bloggers were joining with Mary Jo Manzanares founder of The Travel Reading List for a general reading challenge I was ready to get on board and share again!
The premise is simple; read 2 books a month for a total of 24 books in a year with the option to read 6 additional “challenge” books.
Instead of specific books you’ll be given a prompt to choose a book that fits.
You can also join the Facebook group where book discussion and inspiration happens.
Below you’ll find the prompts to get started![/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Basic Challenge (an average of two books per month)
- A book by an author of a different nationality than you
- A book with a destination in the title (country, city, state, geographic area)
- A book about food
- A book published in 2019
- A book set in a destination you want to visit
- A book about a controversial topic
- A book that inspires you to travel
- A book where the main character is female
- A book on the New York Times Best Seller List
- A book that is a debut novel
- A book that is the first in a series
- A best seller from 2018
- A book written by a person of color
- A book with a one-word title
- A book about a historical event that happened in your lifetime
- A travelogue
- A book published by a small press
- A book set on the continent of Africa
- A book about a quest
- A book on one of your hobbies
- A true crime story
- A book about books (bookstores and/or libraries)
- A book with a red cover
- A book that is next in a series you enjoy
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Advanced Challenge: (an additional six books)
- A book with a Muslim main character
- A book published before 1900
- A book set in a war or conflict zone
- A book set in or about a natural disaster
- A book that won a literary award
- A book in the humor genre
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_custom_heading text=”Want Morocco Suggestions for the Prompts?”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]
- The Tenth Gift – Jane Johnson (likely to have at least one character that isn’t your nationality)
- Leaving Tangier – Taher ben Jelloun
- For Bread Alone – Mohamed Choukri
- still researching – will update!
- Another Morocco: selected stories
- The Alchemist
- In Morocco – Edith Wharton
- Sweetness in the Belly
- Tangerine – Christine Mangan
- Allah’s Garden
- Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits – Laila Lalami
- The Last Storytellers
- The Moor’s Account – Laila Lalami
- Lords of the Atlas (past conflict zone)
Be a part of the MarocMama family!
Do you want access to all things MarocMama? Join our community of readers to get updates on new posts, inside information that won't go on the blog and so much more!
Sound good? Pop your email below and you're in!