[vc_row][vc_column][vc_single_image image=”33393″ img_size=”full”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]In 2017 I started a reading challenged focused on books from Morocco.
Last year with my pregnancy and other life commitments I didn’t have the time to run the challenge again.
So, this year when I found out a few other bloggers were joining with Mary Jo Manzanares founder of The Travel Reading List for a general reading challenge I was ready to get on board and share again!
The premise is simple; read 2 books a month for a total of 24 books in a year with the option to read 6 additional “challenge” books.
Instead of specific books you’ll be given a prompt to choose a book that fits.
You can also join the Facebook group where book discussion and inspiration happens.
Below you’ll find the prompts to get started![/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Basic Challenge (an average of two books per month)
- A book by an author of a different nationality than you
- A book with a destination in the title (country, city, state, geographic area)
- A book about food
- A book published in 2019
- A book set in a destination you want to visit
- A book about a controversial topic
- A book that inspires you to travel
- A book where the main character is female
- A book on the New York Times Best Seller List
- A book that is a debut novel
- A book that is the first in a series
- A best seller from 2018
- A book written by a person of color
- A book with a one-word title
- A book about a historical event that happened in your lifetime
- A travelogue
- A book published by a small press
- A book set on the continent of Africa
- A book about a quest
- A book on one of your hobbies
- A true crime story
- A book about books (bookstores and/or libraries)
- A book with a red cover
- A book that is next in a series you enjoy
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Advanced Challenge: (an additional six books)
- A book with a Muslim main character
- A book published before 1900
- A book set in a war or conflict zone
- A book set in or about a natural disaster
- A book that won a literary award
- A book in the humor genre
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_custom_heading text=”Want Morocco Suggestions for the Prompts?”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]
- The Tenth Gift – Jane Johnson (likely to have at least one character that isn’t your nationality)
- Leaving Tangier – Taher ben Jelloun
- For Bread Alone – Mohamed Choukri
- still researching – will update!
- Another Morocco: selected stories
- The Alchemist
- In Morocco – Edith Wharton
- Sweetness in the Belly
- Tangerine – Christine Mangan
- Allah’s Garden
- Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits – Laila Lalami
- The Last Storytellers
- The Moor’s Account – Laila Lalami
- Lords of the Atlas (past conflict zone)