It seems way to early to start thinking about back to school – seriously where did the summer go?? My last few shopping trips to pick up items for packing I couldn’t help but notice more and more parents and kids walking the aisles with their supply lists. i have to admit it made me a little teary. I know we’ll have school supplies in Morocco but my favorite part of the new year is checking things off of that supply list! The thing I dislike the most about the school year is making breakfast. I just don’t like it! I’m always on the look out for fast, healthy meals that I know my kids (and husband) will eat. I think this is a real winner.
Eggs are such a good way to get a lot of protein. I know so many people who like to add salsa or hot sauce to their eggs. I thought why not harissa? Not only is this excellent for a quick weekday breakfast, it’s also good for brunch. You could add in chopped vegetables, shredded potatoes, anything really to bulk it up.
If you’re not one for scrambled eggs, make a frittata or omlette. Instead of scrambling the eggs while cooking just leave them sit alone and set up. You can adjust the amount of harissa too – maybe just a little bit for kids while adults might like more of a kick. One more great suggestion – if you only eat egg whites adding a bit of the harissa sauce will add flavor without fat. I think egg whites have no taste so this is a great idea!
Harissa Breakfast Scramble
- 3 eggs (free range or organic if possible)
- 1 package Saffron Road Harissa Simmer Sauce (you won’t use the whole package)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- any other breakfast sides or fillings you enjoy such as meat, potatoes, or vegetables
- In a skillet pan melt 1 Tbsp of butter.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and whisk with a fork to scramble.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp harissa simmer sauce to the eggs and whisk. You can add more harissa until you achieve desired “heat” level.
- Once the butter has melted, add the eggs to the skillet and use a silicone spatula to continually stir the eggs until cooked through.
- The eggs will have a reddish/brown tint this is from the harissa. The eggs will only take 3-4 minutes to cook through on medium high heat.
- Serve with extra harissa on the side and any sides of your choice.