The theme for this week’s Sunday Supper was “Retro Recipes,” and truthfully it was a little bit of a challenge for me! I’m still young enough that the generation I grew up in isn’t retro yet. While one of my grandmother’s cooked a lot, she made meals that would be considered more ethnic fare. There wasn’t a single recipe I could remember from my childhood that would count as retro! So as I scratched my head I thought of devil’s food cake. For whatever reason it sounds and feels like a thing of the past. I asked my mom to look through my great grandma’s recipe box to unearth a recipe for this. No luck. The next stop was several small, old cookbooks I acquired at a thrift store. One of them happened to be the book in the picture above. There were two devil’s food cake recipes, one I had the ingredients for, the other I didn’t. I’m sure it’s pretty obvious which I chose. It’s called “Devil’s Food Cake De Luxe”. It’s deluxe for sure.
What is devil’s food cake?
MarocBaba asked what the difference between devil’s food cake and chocolate cake was. I didn’t know. I always assumed devil’s food cake was a richer cake. But consulting a few different sources there seems to be no consensus as to the definition. Some possibilities are;
- a moist, airy, rich chocolate layer cake similar to yellow or white angel food cake.
- a cake that is more moist than the traditional chocolate cake that uses cocoa and coffee.
- different from a chocolate cake because it uses baking soda, incorporates butter, and uses less egg.
- a cake similar to red velvet cake, possibly incorporating beets (as a carrot cake incorporates carrots) and makes the color “devil red”.
What I do know:
- layer cake
- filling between the layers
I knew I would never get away with making a cake that had gluten. MarocBaba would be devastated. So I’m giving you this recipe with gluten free flours. If you’re making this with regular flour use 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour in place of the gluten free flours. Don’t be intimidated by the list of ingredients or the multiple steps. It’s worth the time to make each of the components from scratch but you could use a store bought frosting and cream if you’re short on time.
Check out what the rest of the Sunday Supper Team has come up with!
Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
- Irish Cheddar-Whiskey Fondue by girlichef
- She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Salmon Salad | Retro Tuna Salad by Family Foodie
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Carrot & Raisin Salad by The Roxx Box
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
- Italian Style Bread by The Meltaways
- Creamed Chipped Salmon Jerky on Toast by Pescetarian Journal
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- English Muffin Pizzas by Comfy Cuisine
- Patty Melt, Hand Cut Fries, & a Shake by Mooshu Jenne
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese With Tomato Soup by Catholic Foodie
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by What Smells So Good?
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Topped With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits by Chocolate Moosey
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Country Girl in the Village
- Nana’s Marinated Beef Roast by Supper for a Steal
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Maryland by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mushroom Stroganoff by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Dairyfree Toast Hawaii by Galactosemia in PDX
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Kiev by The Urban Mrs.
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Steak Diane by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Fried Chicken only in the Oven by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kicked Up Meatloaf by Curious Cuisiniere
- Shrimp Scampi (a lighter version) by Kudos Kitchen
- Old-Fashioned Pork Chops by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Jägerschnitzel by Sustainable Dad
- Healthier Hamburger-Corn Noodle Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Inspired by Tuna Noodle Casserole by Cookistry
- Chicken-N-Biscuits Pot Pie Casserole by The Messy Baker Blog
- Souper Pork Chops with Mashed Potatoes by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Meatloaf that will make you swoon and Datz the truth by Midlife Roadtrip
- Spaghetti with Currywurst Sauce by Masala Herb
- Tator Tot Casserole by NeighborFood
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Corn Casserole by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mem’s Broccoli Casserole by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Individual Baked Alaskas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Creamy Dairy Free Fresh Orange Julius With Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Boston Cream Pie by Gotta Get Baked
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Jello Poke Cake by Flour On My Face
- Devil’s Food Cake by Maroc Mama
- Bread Pudding with Pecans by Basic and Delicious
- Victoria Sponge Cake by The Lovely Pantry
- A Chocolate Twist on the Classic Japanese Strawberry Shortcake by Ninja Baking
- Post War Apple Pudding by My Cute Bride
- Layered Mini Chocolate Banana Cakes by Big Bears Wife
- Raspberry Jam Cakes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy by Crazy Foodie Stunts
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet all day and share recipes. We also have a weekly chat that starts at 7:00 PM ET. Join us on Twitter using the #SundaySupper hashtag. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Don’t forget to leave a comment with your favorite retro recipe!!
Be a part of the MarocMama family!
Do you want the inside info? When you sign up I'll send you bi-weekly personal updates and information.
Get the info that won't be on the blog!