I am so excited about this recipe! This weeks’ theme for #SundaySupper is Holiday Music and Movie Inspired Dishes. I thought, and thought, and thought some more about what I could make. I knew which movie I was going to use, because it’s a family favorite.
But what to make… There was of course the obvious answers – food directly out of the movie -but I wasn’t feeling inspired. Then when re-watching the movie it came to me….Christmas “grams”.
You remember this scene;
So this brings us to Christmas Grahams!!! Homemade graham cracker/cookies. I thought Buddy would totally approve of these for a few reasons.
First, I used maple syrup in them. Which is one of the 4 elf food groups.
Second, they’re in Christmas shapes.
Third, they have sugar in them.
A Buddy approved snack.
I had never made graham crackers, and we can’t buy them in Morocco so this was going to be a treat no matter what. I had hoped these would come out a little thinner but I don’t have a rolling pin here and could only get them so thin without one.
Truthfully, they still have a graham cracker texture but are a little bit softer – so a graham cookie? What I like the best is that they aren’t overly sweet. My boys liked them better once they were frosted but that’s up to you. No matter what – you’ll enjoy these. Don’t forget a big glass of milk.
- 2 1 /2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tsp water
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and baking soda.
- Add cold, cubed butter and mix into the dry ingredients using your fingers, a pastry cutter, or pulse in a food processor.
- In another bowl whisk together syrup, water, and vanilla.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients until a dough forms.
- Between two sheets of parchment paper, roll out 1/4 of the dough as thin as possible. For more of a cookie 1/4" thickness is good. For a cracker roll even thinner.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and place onto a cookie sheet lined with silpat or parchment paper.
- Repeat until you've used all of the dough.
- Preheat your oven to 350F. While the oven is heating pop the cookie sheets into your freezer. This will help them from spreading.
- Place into the oven as soon as preheated and cook 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack,
To Make Icing
- In a bowl whisk together powdered sugar with vanilla and water until a thick icing is formed.
- Transfer to a piping bag or plastic bag with a decorators dip on the end.
- Once the cookies are completely cool pipe onto cookies as you would like.
Once you have your cookies whipped up you’ll need something to celebrate with so why not throw a Moroccan inspired Christmas party? I’ve created this awesome guide with recipes, games and printables – basically everything you need to make it happen!