This week is the third in a series of events that has Sunday Supper joining up with American Family Insurance to gather around the #FamilyDinnerTable. Today’s theme centers around our favorite food group – cheese! It wasn’t until we moved to Morocco that my boys and I realized just how deep the love of cheese ran in our veins. I grew up in Wisconsin, where we’re very proud of our dairy heritage. Did you know that Wisconsin is the only place in the United States that has a Master Cheesemaker certification? The University of Wisconsin-Madison operates this program for veteran cheesemakers who have at least 10 years of experience in the field and then must complete the 3 year program. We take cheese seriously!
When you see the Wisconsin Cheese seal you know you’re getting a high quality product. There are few meals that cheese doesn’t pair with (well at least that’s my opinion!) Here are some of my tips for buying and using cheese in your meals;
- hard cheeses can be frozen. Varieties like cheddar, firm mozzerella, colby or pepper jack can be frozen then thawed to use. Stock up when there’s a sale and always have it on hand.
- Soft cheeses like goat cheese can elevate a sauce by adding creaminess and flavor.
- Fruit and cheese mixed together can be a wonderful treat. Try mixing in crumbly cheeses like feta, blue cheese, or halloumi in a fruit and/or vegetable salad.
- Last minute guests? Select a hard, soft, and semi-soft cheese, crackers/bread, olives, and seasonal fruit. Arrange on plates for an instant and easy appetizer spread.
The meal I made for this week’s #SundaySupper came from remembering a meal my mom made when I was growing up. She called it popcorn soup, and served a big pot of soup along with a giant bowl of popcorn. It was so cool that we got to eat popcorn on our soup, that my sister and I gobbled it up. My mom later revealed to me the that while the soup tasted cheesy, she really blended in a lot of vegetables – and we never knew it! With a little big of creativity (popcorn) and a flavor we couldn’t resist (cheddar cheese) she successfully managed to fill us with vegetables. Go Mom!
I have a feeling your family will love this recipe too. One word of advice, let the soup cool a little bit before putting popcorn on top. If it’s too hot the popcorn will shrivel right up.
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 bags of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- In a large pot add 4 cups of broth and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Add frozen vegetables, onion, and garlic to the boiling liquid. I use California Blend (carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli) but you can use any mix of vegetables you like. Cook until tender. .
- Season with salt and pepper, adjusting as needed.
- In a food processor, blender, or with an immersion blender puree the soup until completely smooth.
- Return to the heat, add 2 cups of milk and bring to the point where it just starts bubbling.
- Mix in cheddar cheese until melted.
- Serve in a big bowl, with plenty of popcorn to add on top.
American Family Insurance has started the #FamilyDinnerTable campaign to share their the belief that the next generation of dreamers starts at the family dinner table. American Family has also creating an e-cookbook to inspire families to come back to the table. Be on the lookout for the e-cookbook later this fall. All next week #SundaySupper contributors will be sharing submitted recipes as a part of our #WeekdaySupper series. I’ll be posting a great recipe tomorrow for Coke Chicken and Twice Baked Potatoes. To follow the other contributions and more great family meals follow American Family’s #FamilyDinnerTable board on Pinterest.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST, and this week we are sharing Sunday Suppers that feature cheese, and tips as to how you can incorporate cheese into your family meals. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Check out these other great recipes using cheese!
Cheesy Recipes Perfect for Sunday Supper:
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Soup by Chocolate Moosey
- Fettucine Pumpkin Cauli-fredo by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheeseburger Chowder by Magnolia Days
- Three Cheese Lasagna with Meat Sauce by Webicurean
- Japanese Grilled Cheese & Kale Salad by NinjaBaking.com
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Bake by Country Girl in the Village
- Spinach Feta Greek Impossible Pie by Shockingly Delicious
- Cheesy Vegetarian Enchilada Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Steakhouse Bacon Alfredo Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- 3 Cheese Pumpkin Mac and Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Cheddar Popcorn Soup by MarocMama
- Broccoli, Mushroom & Cheese Strata by Momma’s Meals
- Chili Relleno Casserole by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- French Onion and Apple Soup by Supper for a Steal
- Cheesy Italian Sausage & Kale Quiche by girlichef
- Lighter Stove-top Mac and Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheddar Potato Dumpling Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Prosciutto, Chevre & Radish Toasted Sandwich by Foxes Love Lemons
- Cheesesteak Poutine by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Roasted Tomatoes and Broccoli Rabe Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
And don’t forget, our eCookbook featuring many of our favorite recipes will be coming out just in time for the Holidays.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here ? Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.
Be a part of the MarocMama family!
Sign up for our newsletter today.
You'll get a monthly update + features that won't be on the blog!