When we have visitors one of the very first things they often remark on is the abundance of oranges everywhere. It’s true there are a lot. In winter months, the small mandarins – that are my favorite- make an appearance. Then the more traditional, large oranges begin to appear. Right now there are huge oranges in the markets – they’re the size of a small melon! I’ve always thought that the bigger a fruit got, the less taste it has, but these oranges challenge that. Before we moved here I didn’t drink orange juice, and I might have eaten an orange a handful of times a year – maybe. But now, we eat about a kilo of oranges of a week (2+ pounds), and when the mandarins are in season even more.
There’s nothing better than a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice from the market – and while you can take home a bottle of juice, at some point I need something a little bit more. This orange smoothie incorporates the flavor and health benefits of oranges while introducing some other nutrients too. Feel free to add a scoop or two of your favorite protein powder for an added boost.
- 1 C. orange juice
- ½ C. skim milk (you can also substitute almond milk)
- ½ banana
- ½ C. rolled oats (blend in a food processor or blender – I like to do larger batches beforehand and have it ready to use)
- 8 oz. plain Greek yogurt
Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor and serve immediately.
Makes (2) 8oz. servings.
Need to get more of an orange fix? Here are 40 more ways to use oranges and orange juice!
What to Do with All That Citrus from Basil Momma
- Good Morning Juice from Nosh and Nourish
- Vegan Tropical Green Smoothie from With Food and Love
- Orange Creamsicle Smoothie from Its Yummi
- Orange Almond Healthy Granola Bars from The Law Student’s Wife
- Orange Blueberry Fruffins from Wine and Glue
- Chocolate Orange Baked Doughnuts from Nutmeg Nanny
- Healthy Orange Carrot Muffins from Overtime Cook
- Rose Coloured Glasses Cara Cara (marmalade) from Crumb Blog
- Orange Poppy Seed Muffins from Cooking on the Front Burners
- Best Orange Roll Recipe from Clarks Condensed
- Orange Avocado Salad from Mama Latina Tips
- Ensalada de Nochebuena from Mama Latina Tips
- Orange-spiked Beet and Walnut Spread from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Beet Citrus Salad from An Edible Mosaic
- Orange Roasted Chickpea Spiced Salad with Sherry Citrus Vinaigrette from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- California Quinoa Winter Salad from Liv Life Too
- Kale and Orange Salad from Crumb Blog
- Blood Orange and Fennel Salad from Taste Love and Nourish
- Orange Date Olive Oil Muffins from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Orange Lemon Chicken from Fannetastic Food
- Orange Teriyaki Slaw Stir Fry with Turkey Sriracha Meatballs from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Citrus Chicken from An Edible Mosaic
- Baked Orange Chicken from Hezzi D’s Cooks and Books
- Pizza de Pasqua – Easter Pizza from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Braised Short Rib Pasta with Horseradish Cream Sauce from The Law Student’s Wife
- Spicy Orange Beef with Green Beans and Bean Sprouts from Everyday Maven
- Orange Pistachio Biscotti from Foodologie
- Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies from Foodologie
- Chocolate Screwdriver Angel Food Cake from The Frugal Foodie Mama
- Blood Orange Chess Pie from Hezzi-D’s Cooks and Books
- Orange Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Secret Ingredient Cookies from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies from Wine and Glue
- Orange Cherry Oatmeal Pecan Cookies from Nutmeg Nanny
- Mini Orange Creamsicles from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Orange Tart with Honey Almond Crust from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Gluten Free Orange Almond Skillet Cake from So Let’s Hang Out
- Blood Orange Pavlova from Kailley’s Kitchen
- Pretty in Pink Blood Orange Tart from Crumb Blog
- Chocolate Blood Orange Cupcakes from The Heritage Cook
Be a part of the MarocMama family!
Sign up for our newsletter today.
You'll get a monthly update + features that won't be on the blog!