MarocMama

A Fearless Guide to Food and Travel

Applying for a Carte Sejour {Residency} in Morocco Applying for a Carte Sejour {Residency} in Morocco

Ah, the carte sejour. It conjurs up the horror of bureaucratic nightmares, long hours spent in lines, and filling out form after form of personal information.

If you’re not familiar with this process let me explain. In Morocco, tourists who do not require an entry visa, are permitted to stay for up to 90 days. During this time you’re exactly that, a tourist. You can’t get a job, or do much else, so if you’re planning on calling Morocco home you have to apply for residency. This means obtaining a carte sejour (roughly translated the staying card). Every Moroccan carries a CIN or carte nationale. It’s a national ID card that lists your pertinent information. Essentially it’s the same thing but with a different name for non-Moroccan citizens. Initial applications are good for 1 year and then are extended either yearly, or for 5 or 10 years. This card gives you permission to live legally in Morocco. Once you apply and receive this you’re also consider to have a foreign residence, in the eyes of the United States at least.

carte sejour

There are different categories to obtain the card. I was able to apply as the wife of a citizen. We were worried that because we haven’t been able to register our marriage in Morocco yet (another long story) we wouldn’t be able to apply in this category but it didn’t end up being a problem. That being said, there’s a ton of paperwork required and a trip to Rabat.  If you want to apply and are not the wife of a citizen, the process will likely be slightly different. By visiting the office etranger at the head police precinct in any Moroccan city you’ll be able to get a full list of the documents needed. You can not go to ANY police station, it needs to be the central office in the city you are living in.

Here’s the list of documents we had to gather;

• Translation of my birth certificate to Arabic
  • Our civil marriage certificate translated to Arabic
  • A copy of our Islamic marriage certificate
  • A certificate of domicile + 2 pictures will be needed
  • A medical clearance certificate
  • Criminal Background Check
  • My CV (resume) in French or Arabic
  • Copy of my Passport including a copy of my entry stamp to Morocco
  • A copy of my husbands CIN
  • Document from our Moroccan or American bank showing my husband can support me
  • and/or letter from an employer showing employment.
  • 6 pictures
  • You’ll also need to fill out 2 yellow information cards and 2 copies of a white registration paper in the office
  • 100 dirhams for the registration

We were able to produce copies of all documents, but each document needs to be legalized and stamped. Seems straight forward? Let’s go through some “sticky spots.”

A certificate of domicile

This document is obtained from the closest police precinct. You’ll need some type of proof that you’re living at the address given, like a lease agreement. We live in a family home and so this was more like the police just knew. It’s also the same address I gave on entry so presumably it was somewhere in the system.

A medical clearance

Any doctor will know what you’re talking about if you tell them that you need a medical certificate for the carte sejour.  It’s fairly straight forward, making sure you don’t have communicable diseases and are not a threat to other people.

Criminal Background Check

To get this document you MUST go to Rabat to the Justice Ministry. You don’t need to make an appointment, but go in the morning as afternoon office hours in Morocco vary. You’ll fill out a paper requesting the background check, take a number, and wait for your turn. Bring your passport with. Most of the time they’ll take your document and tell you to come back in a few weeks. If you’re traveling far, like we were, you can push them to get it done sooner. Or beg. The earlier you go in the morning the better the chance you’ll get it the same day.

Banking Information

This was the vaguest requirement. We had no clue what they were looking for and they were never clear about it. How much money needs to be in the bank to show financial support? Figures vary about the average monthly income for most Moroccans but it’s generally accepted to be less than $600 a month. We estimated that showing we had over a years income at that amount in the bank would be sufficient.To make this even more complex, we both freelance and our income is largely held in American banks.  We were told that documents from our American banks showing deposits would work, but we didn’t want to make things any more complicated so we went with the holding in the Moroccan account and were successful. I don’t know what the requirement really is, and no one seemed to give us an answer but it must have worked because we weren’t asked any other questions.

We returned everything to the Office Etranger and had a brief “interview” of sorts. MarocBaba explained why we had moved back to Morocco and how long we’d been married etc. We then paid our 100 dirham and were given a receipt to come back in a few weeks to pick up the card.  One other note, everything was in either Arabic, French and Spanish or French and Spanish. Not super helpful but I have enough knowledge to muddle my way through the forms. I’ve been told that applying as the wife of a citizen is the easiest way and really aside from the hassle of figuring out what all the papers were and where to get them it wasn’t terrible.

My card is good for 1 year, and I will have to renew it next year. Ask me then how the renewal goes!

Did you enjoy this article?

Signup today and receive our free monthly newsletter and special updates! We will never share or sell your email address.

Amanda Mouttaki

Curious world traveling, mom of two busy boys, foodie at heart, addicted to social media and lover of all things Moroccan.

• Rachel

May 9, 2015 #1 Author

Any idea if, for the US clearance, if a state police is sufficient, or do we need the much more expensive/time consuming FBI clearance? Also, if it’s the FBI one, does it need an apostille (like an international notary seal)? Here is an image of what apostille looks like http://livetravelmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/fbi-cbc-apostille-blog.jpg
    Thanks!

• Sofyaan

May 6, 2015 #2 Author

Great article Amanda, enjoyable read and very informative.

My situation is almost identical to yours however I am the male in the situation and I want to get an ID card for Morocco so I and my wife can stay there for as long as we please when we are not in the UK. In your situation I presume your husband had some kind of employment in Morocco, I on the other hand have a job in the UK, am I able to provide my UK bank statements to prove money going in and out?

Once you have the ID card are you then eventually allowed to apply for the Moroccan passport? or is that a no go for anyone born outside of Morocco?

Lastly, when you receive the ID card are you now able to travel freely to places like Algeria without a visa? I know that Moroccan nationals do not need a visa to travel there but I am not sure if obtaining a Moroccan ID card would give me the right to cross borders as easily.

Thanks in advance!

May 8, 2015 #3 Author

Usually if you have proof of income (any income) it’s enough. You’ll need to bring as much proof of this income (bank statements, employment contract etc) that will work. Apparently I have heard Americans at least can apply for a Moroccan passport BUT I believe it’s only foreign women married to Moroccan men that can apply. The ID card doesn’t open any travel benefits to you, it only grants permission to stay in Morocco beyond the 3 months.

• Malika

May 5, 2015 #4 Author

Many thanks for all the information you’ve provided.
    I am Moroccan and also a British citizen, settled in morocco and married to an Indian National.who work overseas. I have tried to apply for a residency status for my husband, The police gave me the list of requirements and I provided all documents. Unfortunately they ask that my husband should provide a copy of a family visa and not a tourist visa. My husband went back and applied for a family visa. Unfortunately his application for a family visa was refused by the Moroccan Consular and was told they no longer grant family visas and that he needed to travel back to Morocco on his on a moroccan tourist visa and apply for the family visa at the Ministry of Interior Affairs instead. He was told these are the new rules. i wonder if this is true. If this is the case, how long it would take the ministry of interior to grant my husband a family visa. Please help!

May 5, 2015 #5 Author

I wouldn’t be surprised if this were the case. We went through many, many obstacles when we tried to deal with overseas branches of the Moroccan government. I don’t know the correct answer to your question but I would say you should go to the main police station in whichever city you plan to live in and ask them what their requirements are in this situation. I do think you need to be living in Morocco to apply for the residency permit so that fact pans out. Typically once you apply for something they give you a receipt that serves as the temporary document until it’s completed. How long will it take to get the original….I would plan for a long wait. It took me nearly 10 months to get my actual residency card after I applied. I used the receipt until I got it.

• Ahmed

May 13, 2015 #6 Author

Hi Amanda & Malika,

I have read Malika Post about family Visa and Tourist visa they ask that your husband should provide a copy of a family visa and not a tourist visa for residency this is happened with me. my wife is Moroccan national and last year i wanted to come for apply residency when i apply in Embassy for visa so they give me tourist visa and when i asked to i want to apply for my residency they says this is tourist visa you cant apply for residency if you want to apply for Moroccan residency you must have Family Visa its new policy then i asked to them calnce my this tourit visa and give me family visa they say sorry we cant you you come next time then we can give you.

Now i am again making plan for Apply my family visa and Apply for my residency i would like to know update from Malika what happend now any update you find for your husband Malika have you solved your problem ?
      Amanda i want to ask i am living out of my country since 5 years do i need police record from my home country or where i am living since 5 years ? and i whats update do you have for documents for moroccan wife’s behalf residency.

Thanks & Regards
      Ahmed

May 17, 2015 #7 Author

You’ll need the police record from every place you’ve ever lived or worked. Maybe Malika can shine some light on your other questions!

• Mohammad Shahid

May 20, 2015 #8 Author

I am Mohammad Shahid, Indian working in Saudi Arabia, I buy flat in Morocco under my Moroccan wife and now I want to leave I got some information but I want to know my kids also go same process or different?

May 22, 2015 #9 Author

I’m sorry I wish I had an answer but I really don’t know what the process is for this.

• Ahmed

May 23, 2015 #10 Author

As Salam Alykum,

How are you Mohammad Shahid? I would like to know is your kids are from your moroccan National wife ? if your kids are from your Moroccan wife then you can apply for your kids Moroccan Nationality if you wish then you just have to go there and ask to your wife go to asked in that city where you have buy your home from where they issue passport for to Moroccan nationals i want to apply for my kids nationality they will ask you to do some small paper work which is not so much hard then she can get Moroccan nationality after get approve apply for passport and if you don’t want to get nationality then you can apply with you at they same time with your for Moroccan dependent kids those are underage residency card. for this you have to contact to same police station where you will apply residency card and for more information kindly Apply for family visa not touriest visa as i get it just 2 days before soon i will go to morocco for apply my residency card Inshallah.

Allah Hafiz

• asma

April 8, 2015 #11 Author

selaam to you all
    hi amanda thanks for your help and i want to ask you something….i plan to have my husband’s kid for more than 90 days with me in morocco so the kid will need residency card?

April 8, 2015 #12 Author

From what I understand children do not need residency cards, but you may want to double check at the police station when you arrive. Also you’ll need to have a document with his permission to travel in and out of Morocco with the child if he will not be with you.

• asma

April 9, 2015 #13 Author

• Japo

March 7, 2015 #14 Author

Hi Amanda,

My step father is now in Morocco. He does not require a visa and he is allowed to stay for 90 days. He wants to stay for more than 90 days, when he went to the police precicnt to ask the full list of the documents for the residency application. They asked him if he have a work contract and a lease contract which he did not have at that moment. He tried to get a job when they wont give him a contract,same thing to the house that he’s renting. Do you have any idea if there’s another option for him to get a rsident permit?

Kindly regards,
    Japo

March 7, 2015 #15 Author

I would say his best option is to leave the country and go back. If he has a 90 day visa waiver as most from Europe and North America do, you can leave Morocco for even a day and return to get another 90 days. Without a work contract, lease, and/or marriage to a Moroccan you have almost no options for a residency card. There are many people living in Morocco that simply go in and out ever 90 days to avoid it.

• Japo

March 8, 2015 #16 Author

Thank you for your reply. The thing is hes a FIlipino passport holder. He is required to apply a visa to exit morocco and enter another country like Spain. They said running up his own business there will grant him a residency permit is this correct?

March 8, 2015 #17 Author

Yes having a business is another way – though it’s not as easy as it sounds to start one. But if that’s an option he should start talking with an accountant and making a plan immediately. It can take a long time.

• Y Chabane

February 2, 2015 #18 Author

Hi. You must have renewed your Moroccan card by now. Any luck? I would love to know you got on. Thanks.

• Maria Fe Elmido

January 27, 2015 #20 Author

Hi!!i go to rabat but they told me that i can just ask a police clearance in the place where i apply my carte sejour.. My question is do i need to go back to rabat and ask this police clearance? Thank you

January 28, 2015 #21 Author

Hi Maria. There are two things you need; 1) A police certificate from your home country 2) a clearance from the Justice ministry in Rabat. To get #2 I believe you have to go to your local police station in Morocco first.

• chaimae asimsoomro

October 24, 2014 #22 Author

I’m Moroccan citizen and running after my husband resedency and I think the things are different for him because where ever we ask they say that he need any business to do in here

October 26, 2014 #23 Author

That shouldn’t be the case. Though they may be trying to do that for extra money. You can ask them for the list of required documents for a spouse applying for residency. I know in Marrakech it’s now listed directly outside the office e’tranger. Try talking to someone else or asking for the requirements. You do need to show work papers for one or both of you, or proof of money in the bank.

• chaimae asimsoomro

October 28, 2014 #24 Author

Thank u so much for ur help. Hope things work out for us this time

• chaimae asimsoomro

February 13, 2015 #25 Author

Hi Amanda how are u doing and ur family I’m still struggling with my husband resedency last time I went to local police they refuse to give any help. So can I go to any other city and do it or if u know any one who can help can u pass me his number or information pls

February 15, 2015 #26 Author

Chaimae, you have to go to the police in the city you live to apply. Go to the main police office, not the local office. The requirement list is posted there. Once you have everything (documents) together it should not be an issue. I’m sorry I don’t have any other advice!

• Angela

June 19, 2014 #27 Author

Amanda,
    Thank you so much for all of your informative blogs, they have really helped me prepare for my move to beautiful Morocco!! I was wondering, the residency cards….do the kids need them? Also, is that really the only fee (the 100 dirhams)? Is there any other fees in there for the extended stay visas? Or is that all we as Americans need is the residency card? I really appreciate any help you are willing to give!! Also, I was reading somewhere that we should have a bank balance of around 20,000 dirhams….should that be per person, or per household? I just want to have everything in correct order for my arrival.
    Angela :)

June 21, 2014 #28 Author

Hi Angela – what we’ve been told is the kids do not need them. Now I don’t know if this is because their father is Moroccan or if it’s just standard for any child. There are some other small fees needed for stamps or things on paperwork – like translations – but it was just a few dirham here and there. Once you have residency you don’t need an extended stay visa. As for the bank account I wish I knew, honestly it was not clear the amount of money you needed to have. We had about 100,000 dirham in the bank and there was no problem. There was also the option to produce a work contract or something showing what you would be paid monthly. This is the murkiest section about what is required. Best of luck!

• Carissa

January 22, 2014 #29 Author

I didn’t have to get a medical or criminal clearance but everything else sounds the same.

January 22, 2014 #30 Author

That’s interesting – I wonder why. Maybe it’s a new change? I had brought a police record from home because I had read it was needed but they just wanted the record from Rabat. I’ll give them some credit, they did have an actual checklist of documents to go through instead of something just arbitrarily made up!

• Jennifer F- American Mom in Bordeaux

January 19, 2014 #31 Author

I’m chuckling as I read your post…it actually makes the French process sound easy!! (& that’s hard to do!!).
    I just posted a similar post on my blog about my renewal of my carte de sejour in France – similar situation being married to a French man. I too, needed that laundry list of similar documents – copies and originals. However, this year to my surprise – our local prefecture (regional naturalization office ) changed their policy and it was actually a bit easier. Still TONS of paperwork, but luckily not as stressful. Good luck to you for your renewal. Thanks for sharing – love reading your blog!

January 22, 2014 #32 Author

Here’s hoping the renewal process is easy and straight forward! I read your post on carte sejour and was surprised how similar the two still are considering it’s been 50+ years since Morocco’s independence!

• Els

January 22, 2014 #33 Author

Hi Amanda, the renewal is indeed quite easy. I had a carte sejour for two years because I was on the board of directors of sby who started a company. Unfortunately I will have to apply again when I want to return within a few years. It will be also possible to get one because I am married. Otherwise it is almost impossible to get a carte.

• Stella

January 18, 2014 #34 Author

One note on the Entry Stamp on your Passport. When I landed in Marrakech, I went through Passport Control, got my passport stamped, and left the airport. It wasn’t until my husband asked for my passport to photocopying for our marriage document dossier that we noticed the stamp was not clear. Fortunately, I had all my flight documents INCLUDING the luggage labels which had the information on it. I know some people just tear it off and bin it after landing but it might prove useful if this happens to you. You might want to check this is done properly at the Passport Control desk. The same thing happened when I left Marrakech.

January 22, 2014 #35 Author

That’s a good point- often their entry stamps are not clear. Mine was done in a really light pink ink and stamped on top of another stamp. I’m not sure why they do this but it is important to double check.