I am so excited about this recipe! This weeks’ theme for #SundaySupper is Holiday Music and Movie Inspired Dishes. I thought, and thought, and thought some more about what I could make. I knew which movie I was going to use, because it’s a family favorite. But what to make… There was of course the obvious answers – food directly out of the movie -but I wasn’t feeling inspired. Then when re-watching the movie it came to me….Christmas “grams”. You remember this scene;
So this brings us to Christmas Grahams!!! Homemade graham cracker/cookies. I thought Buddy would totally approve of these for a few reasons.
First, I used maple syrup in them. Which is one of the 4 elf food groups.
Second, they’re in Christmas shapes.
Third, they have sugar in them.
A Buddy approved snack.
I had never made graham crackers, and we can’t buy them in Morocco so this was going to be a treat no matter what. I had hoped these would come out a little thinner but I don’t have a rolling pin here and could only get them so thin without one. Truthfully, they still have a graham cracker texture but are a little bit softer – so a graham cookie? What I like the best is that they aren’t overly sweet. My boys liked them better once they were frosted but that’s up to you. No matter what – you’ll enjoy these. Don’t forget a big glass of milk.
- 2 1 /2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tsp water
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and baking soda.
- Add cold, cubed butter and mix into the dry ingredients using your fingers, a pastry cutter, or pulse in a food processor.
- In another bowl whisk together syrup, water, and vanilla.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients until a dough forms.
- Between two sheets of parchment paper, roll out 1/4 of the dough as thin as possible. For more of a cookie 1/4" thickness is good. For a cracker roll even thinner.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and place onto a cookie sheet lined with silpat or parchment paper.
- Repeat until you've used all of the dough.
- Preheat your oven to 350F. While the oven is heating pop the cookie sheets into your freezer. This will help them from spreading.
- Place into the oven as soon as preheated and cook 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack,
- In a bowl whisk together powdered sugar with vanilla and water until a thick icing is formed.
- Transfer to a piping bag or plastic bag with a decorators dip on the end.
- Once the cookies are completely cool pipe onto cookies as you would like.
Come see what everyone else made! No matter what your favorite holiday song or movie is, there’s a good chance one of the #SundaySupper team have it covered.
Party Appetizers & Snacks:
Oven-Roasted Applesauce Scented with Rosemary & Vanilla-Inspired by the song
“Christmas in the Trenches”- Shockingly Delicious
Roasted Chestnuts Inspired by the movie “The Christmas Song” – Food Lust People Love
A Popcorn Trio Inspired by the song “Let it Snow” - Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
Chai Tea Abominable Snow Buddies Inspired by the movie “Rudolph” – Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Raisin Bran Muffins for a Crowd Inspired by the movie
“National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” - In The Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
Icicle Candy and Reindeer Snacks Inspired by the movie “Snow” – Treats & Trinkets
A Christmas Carol Plum Pudding Inspired by the movie “A Christmas Carol” – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
Yukon Mashed Potato Cakes Inspired by the movie “Rudolph” - Cookin’ Mimi
Christmas Pudding Inspired by the song “Over the River and Through the Woods” - A Kitchen Hoor
Pumpkin Pudding Inspired by the movie “Nightmare Before Christmas” - Basic N Delicious
Elf-Inspired Christmas “Grams” Inspired by the movie “Elf” - MarocMama
Sugarplums Inspired by the movie “The Nutcracker” – Happy Baking Days
Chai Spiced Roasted Nuts Inspired by the song “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire” - Take A Bite Out of Boca
Festive Main Dishes
Maple Syrup Spaghetti- Inspired by the movie “Elf”- Momma’s Meals
Who Hash Inspired by the movie “How The Grinch Stole Christmas” -girlichef
Ginger Orange Glazed Cornish Hens Inspired by the song “The 12 Days of Christmas” -Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
NY Hot Dog with Sabrett-style Onion Sauce Inspired by the movie “Die Hard” - Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Classic Caesar Salad Inspired by the movie “The Santa Clause” – The Little Ferraro Kitchen
Individuals Meatloaves & Horseradish Mashed Potatoes for Mommy’s Little Piggies - Inspired by the movie
“A Christmas Story” – The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Christmas Waffles Inspired by the TV special “A Claymation Christmas Celebration” – Curious Cuisiniere
Filthy Animal Pizza Inspired by the movie “Home Alone” – Foxes Love Lemons
Chicken Orzo Soup Inspired by the song “12 Days of Christmas” - Family Foodie
Brandied Candied Sweet Potatoes Inspired by the song “Christmas Is The Time To Say ‘I Love You’ ” –
Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Sweet Holiday Treats:
Gin and Tonic Cupcakes Inspired by Adam Sandler’s ” The Chanukah Song” - The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Bars Inspired by the movie “Love Actually” – Magnolia Days
Gingerbread Marshmallows Inspired by the song “Marshmallow World” – Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies Inspired by the movie “The Gremlins” – Killer Bunnies, Inc
White Chocolate Peppermint Fudge Inspired by the song “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas” – Alida’s Kitchen
Snowball Cookies - Inspired by the movie “White Christmas” -The Foodie Army Wife
Penuche Fudge Inspired by the movie “Elf” – Pies and Plots
Hot Chocolate Cookies Inspired by the movie “Santa Clause” - Mess Makes Food
South Pacific Coconut Tres Leche Cake Inspired by the movie “South Pacific” -The Ninja Baker
Cookies & Cream Fudge Inspired by the movie “Elf” – The Messy Baker
Toasted Coconut Hot Cocoa- Inspired by the song “Let It Snow”- Chocolate Moosey
The Christmas Gram Inspired by the movie “Elf” – An Appealing Plan
Eggnog Hot Chocolate Inspired by the movie “National Lampoons Christmas Vacation” - Peanut Butter and Peppers
Vermont Hot Cocoa Inspired by the movie “White Christmas” – Kudos Kitchen By Renee
Spiked Hot Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream Floats Inspired by the song “Holly Jolly Christmas “ -NeighborFood
This is Christmas; Wine Pairings for Holiday Themed#SundaySupper Recipes – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here ? Sunday Supper Movement.
You May Also Like
- 66Who doesn't love cookies? Better yet, who doesn't love a cookie challenge? A few weeks ago Kurt from Livefire (one of my fellow Verizon Savvy Gourmets) challenged all of us to a cookie showdown. OK it's really not a showdown but just a fun cookie challenge. First I was going to do gluten free, but…Tags: cookies, dessert
- 64Madelines and Konnafa A few weeks ago my mom told me that her church was having a cookie swap. This sounded like a great idea as I mentioned my family has been asking about cookies for a few weeks now. Everyone made 6 dozen cookies and brought them to the church last night. Then we…Tags: cookies, dessert
- 64One day before we moved to Morocco I was sitting in the doctor's office waiting for my appointment and decided to make a list in my phone of things that I wanted to do at some point while we were in Morocco. It was a way to pass time and I really didn't think I…Tags: cookies, dessert
Curious world traveling, mom of two busy boys, foodie at heart, addicted to social media and lover of all things Moroccan.