I am so excited about this recipe! This weeks’ theme for #SundaySupper is Holiday Music and Movie Inspired Dishes. I thought, and thought, and thought some more about what I could make. I knew which movie I was going to use, because it’s a family favorite. But what to make… There was of course the obvious answers – food directly out of the movie -but I wasn’t feeling inspired. Then when re-watching the movie it came to me….Christmas “grams”. You remember this scene;
So this brings us to Christmas Grahams!!! Homemade graham cracker/cookies. I thought Buddy would totally approve of these for a few reasons.
First, I used maple syrup in them. Which is one of the 4 elf food groups.
Second, they’re in Christmas shapes.
Third, they have sugar in them.
A Buddy approved snack.
I had never made graham crackers, and we can’t buy them in Morocco so this was going to be a treat no matter what. I had hoped these would come out a little thinner but I don’t have a rolling pin here and could only get them so thin without one. Truthfully, they still have a graham cracker texture but are a little bit softer – so a graham cookie? What I like the best is that they aren’t overly sweet. My boys liked them better once they were frosted but that’s up to you. No matter what – you’ll enjoy these. Don’t forget a big glass of milk.
- 2 1 /2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tsp water
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and baking soda.
- Add cold, cubed butter and mix into the dry ingredients using your fingers, a pastry cutter, or pulse in a food processor.
- In another bowl whisk together syrup, water, and vanilla.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients until a dough forms.
- Between two sheets of parchment paper, roll out 1/4 of the dough as thin as possible. For more of a cookie 1/4" thickness is good. For a cracker roll even thinner.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and place onto a cookie sheet lined with silpat or parchment paper.
- Repeat until you've used all of the dough.
- Preheat your oven to 350F. While the oven is heating pop the cookie sheets into your freezer. This will help them from spreading.
- Place into the oven as soon as preheated and cook 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack,
- In a bowl whisk together powdered sugar with vanilla and water until a thick icing is formed.
- Transfer to a piping bag or plastic bag with a decorators dip on the end.
- Once the cookies are completely cool pipe onto cookies as you would like.
Come see what everyone else made! No matter what your favorite holiday song or movie is, there’s a good chance one of the #SundaySupper team have it covered.
Party Appetizers & Snacks:
Oven-Roasted Applesauce Scented with Rosemary & Vanilla-Inspired by the song
“Christmas in the Trenches”– Shockingly Delicious
Roasted Chestnuts Inspired by the movie “The Christmas Song” – Food Lust People Love
A Popcorn Trio Inspired by the song “Let it Snow” – Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
Chai Tea Abominable Snow Buddies Inspired by the movie “Rudolph” – Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Raisin Bran Muffins for a Crowd Inspired by the movie
“National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” – In The Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
Icicle Candy and Reindeer Snacks Inspired by the movie “Snow” – Treats & Trinkets
A Christmas Carol Plum Pudding Inspired by the movie “A Christmas Carol” – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
Yukon Mashed Potato Cakes Inspired by the movie “Rudolph” – Cookin’ Mimi
Christmas Pudding Inspired by the song “Over the River and Through the Woods” – A Kitchen Hoor
Pumpkin Pudding Inspired by the movie “Nightmare Before Christmas” – Basic N Delicious
Elf-Inspired Christmas “Grams” Inspired by the movie “Elf” – MarocMama
Sugarplums Inspired by the movie “The Nutcracker” – Happy Baking Days
Chai Spiced Roasted Nuts Inspired by the song “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire” – Take A Bite Out of Boca
Festive Main Dishes
Maple Syrup Spaghetti– Inspired by the movie “Elf”- Momma’s Meals
Who Hash Inspired by the movie “How The Grinch Stole Christmas” –girlichef
Ginger Orange Glazed Cornish Hens Inspired by the song “The 12 Days of Christmas” –Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
NY Hot Dog with Sabrett-style Onion Sauce Inspired by the movie “Die Hard” – Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Classic Caesar Salad Inspired by the movie “The Santa Clause” – The Little Ferraro Kitchen
Individuals Meatloaves & Horseradish Mashed Potatoes for Mommy’s Little Piggies – Inspired by the movie
“A Christmas Story” – The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Christmas Waffles Inspired by the TV special “A Claymation Christmas Celebration” – Curious Cuisiniere
Filthy Animal Pizza Inspired by the movie “Home Alone” – Foxes Love Lemons
Chicken Orzo Soup Inspired by the song “12 Days of Christmas” – Family Foodie
Brandied Candied Sweet Potatoes Inspired by the song “Christmas Is The Time To Say ‘I Love You’ ” –
Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Sweet Holiday Treats:
Gin and Tonic Cupcakes Inspired by Adam Sandler’s ” The Chanukah Song” – The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Bars Inspired by the movie “Love Actually” – Magnolia Days
Gingerbread Marshmallows Inspired by the song “Marshmallow World” – Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies Inspired by the movie “The Gremlins” – Killer Bunnies, Inc
White Chocolate Peppermint Fudge Inspired by the song “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas” – Alida’s Kitchen
Snowball Cookies – Inspired by the movie “White Christmas” –The Foodie Army Wife
Penuche Fudge Inspired by the movie “Elf” – Pies and Plots
Hot Chocolate Cookies Inspired by the movie “Santa Clause” – Mess Makes Food
South Pacific Coconut Tres Leche Cake Inspired by the movie “South Pacific” –The Ninja Baker
Cookies & Cream Fudge Inspired by the movie “Elf” – The Messy Baker
Toasted Coconut Hot Cocoa– Inspired by the song “Let It Snow”– Chocolate Moosey
The Christmas Gram Inspired by the movie “Elf” – An Appealing Plan
Eggnog Hot Chocolate Inspired by the movie “National Lampoons Christmas Vacation” – Peanut Butter and Peppers
Vermont Hot Cocoa Inspired by the movie “White Christmas” – Kudos Kitchen By Renee
Spiked Hot Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream Floats Inspired by the song “Holly Jolly Christmas “ –NeighborFood
This is Christmas; Wine Pairings for Holiday Themed#SundaySupper Recipes – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here ? Sunday Supper Movement.
You May Also Like
- 64Madelines and Konnafa A few weeks ago my mom told me that her church was having a cookie swap. This sounded like a great idea as I mentioned my family has been asking about cookies for a few weeks now. Everyone made 6 dozen cookies and brought them to the…