Moroccan pastries are small, bite size gems of deliciousness. Most have nuts, usually almonds, honey, and powdered sugar. Sadly, the majority also have wheat making them off-limits for us. Ramadan is right around the corner and I have been re-making all of our favorite treats into gluten-free replicas. Are you ready for a ghriba-a-palooza? I’ve created four new ghriba recipes that I’ll be sharing over the next few days. I think you’ll have a hard time choosing your favorite!
What is a ghriba?
Ghriba are one of the most well known Moroccan cookies. They are easily identified because of their cracked surface – a must in ghriba making. They tend to be a bit crunchy on the outside but chewy inside. Most of the time they’re made with almonds, but can be made with walnuts, peanuts, really any kind of nut. When I started developing a recipe for gluten-free ghriba I first looked to traditional recipes. There are some gluten-free recipes that exist but I find it easier to try and convert from a recipe with gluten to gluten-free. The problem here was there are a lot of different ways people make ghriba! Some used butter, some oil. Some caster sugar, and some powdered sugar. Some used semolina, or white flour, or coconut. Some people make ghriba and put jam in them, like thumbprint cookies. Basically there was no real base recipe to start from. Maybe that’s a good thing?
What I Made
I came up with four new kinds of ghriba – all of them are gluten free.
Today I’m sharing the recipe I created for Lemon Vanilla Almond Ghriba. I promise to share my recipes for all of the others, if you’re following me on Facebook or subscribe for updates (sign up is on the right sidebar), you’ll know as soon as they’re up!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp liquid from preserved lemon (if you don't have this, the zest of 1 lemon will work)
- 4 Tbsp room temperature butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- Whole blanced almonds to top cookies
- powdered sugar to coat cookies
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl combine almond flour, granulated sugar, and baking powder.
- Add to the dry ingredients the preserved lemon juice (or lemon zest), vanilla extract, and egg yolks.
- Break up the butter with your hands or a pastry cutter and begin working into the dough.
- Using your hands or pastry cutter mix all of the ingredients until everything has been combined, the dough will feel slightly sticky.
- From small balls with your hands, about 1" in diameter.
- Coat the balls with powdered sugar and place onto a cookie sheet or plate.
- Refrigerate the cookies for 30 minutes, or place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Arrange cookies on baking sheet and gently press an almond into the top of each. Do not flatten the cookies, they will naturally shape.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. The cookies should still be a pale color.
- Leave on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes to allow the cookies to finish setting, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- When the cookies are completely cool, transfer to an air tight container.
- Cookies can be stored on the counter for 1-2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, remove from the freezer and allow to warm up before serving.
This week’s #SundaySupper theme is a “free for all” so every recipe is “free” of something. There are other gluten-free recipes, sugar free, dairy-free, you name it! The hostess this week is Beate of The Not So Cheesy Kitchen – thanks for hosting! I hope you’ll join with us and try some of these great recipes from my fellow contributors – don’t forget to check back for the rest of my ghriba recipes!
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut & Soy Free Brown Rice Breakfast Pudding bygirlichef
- Dairy & Nut and Sugar Free Blueberry Tangerine Muffins by Vintage Kitchen
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut, and Soy Free Homemade Mango Jam Recipe byMasala Herb
- Gluten Free Nothing Missing Manicotti by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Sun-Dried Tomato & Feta Meatballs over Courgette Noodles bySmall Wallet, Big Appetite
- Gluten Free Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Balsamic Portobello Burgers by Curious Cuisinere
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Nut Free Mushroom Risotto Bake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Vegan Mac and “Cheese” by Webicurean
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Creamy Mushrooms on Pasta by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Gluten Free Persian Cucumber Yogurt by Shockingly Delicious
- Gluten Free Quinoa with Olives, Basil and Sun-dried Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- Dairy Free Farro and Fruit Salad by Magnolia Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Dairy Free Fattoush Salad by From the Bookshelf
- Gluten Free Chickpea Fritters by The Lovely Pantry
- Dairy, Egg, and Gluten Free Black Bean and Mango Salad by Soni’s Food
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, and Nut Free Grilled Fennel Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Dairy & Gluten Free French Bread by Blueberries and Blessings
- Dairy & Gluten Free Crunchy Almond Sesame Crackers by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dairy & Gluten Free Individual Chocolate Pavlovas by The Girl in The Little Red Kitchen
- Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies by Juanita’s Cocina
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Apple Almond Butter Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies with Almond Flour by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Nut Free Lemon Cardamom Wedding Cookies by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairy Free Chocolate Gelato by Growing Up Gabel
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Sugar Free Cantaloupe, Strawberry, & Coconut Gazpacho by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Meringue Kisses with Dulce de Lece by Basic N Delicious
- Dairy & Egg Free Vegan Everyday Chocolate Loaf by Gotta Get Baked
- Gluten, Dairy, and Nut Free Coconut Macaroons by Happy Baking Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Soy Free Tastes like Chocolate Ice Cream byCookistry
- Gluten Free Enoki Mushroom & Pine Nut Quinoa by Family Foodie
- Gluten Free Mousse & Cookies by Ninja Baking
- Gluten Free Brown Butter Snickerdooles by Pies and Plots
- Dairy, Egg & Soy Free Chai Spice Coconut Ice Cream by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gluten Free Lemonade Dip by The Messy Baker
- Nut & Fat Free Chocolate Angel Food Cake by Table for Seven
- Gluten & Dairy Free Honey Bear Smoothies by Neighborfood
- Sugar Free Strawberry Meyer Lemonade by The Weekend Gourmet
You May Also Like
- 59For Ramadan this year I decided to re-make several traditional Moroccan pastries. Usually MarocBaba's mom sends us a big box of Moroccan cookies. The problem with that is they all have gluten. Between MarocBaba's celiac disease and my difficulty eating gluten after gastric sleeve surgery we're pretty much a non-wheat…
- 44Every year for the Fourth of July our family has a little get-together at a local lake. It's been a few years since we have been able to attend and so this year I was excited to be going. Since we have seen marked improvements with MarocBaba since removing gluten…