Thursday is Valentine’s Day, an (in my opinion) over-hyped, commercialized holiday – at least where we live. you might be wondering why in the world I’m blogging about this then. I think that any opportunity we have to show the ones we love our appreciation we should do it. In my life, that means cooking a meal loaded with love. There is one appetizer that I know will always put a smile on MarocBaba’s face. It’s so simple and sometimes I wonder why I don’t make it more often. Then again maybe if I did it would be less special? So how did I discover his love for this dish? Well that’s an interesting story…
In 2007, we had been married for almost a year and were living in Washington D.C. My cooking skills were still a bit on the rough side but I truly made an effort to prepare great meals. We had only lived in the area for about 6 months and didn’t really have any friends. Our kids were very young and both of us were working long hours just to get by. Even if we would have known where to go for a night out, we couldn’t afford a babysitter (or to pay for dinner!). On my way home from work that night I stopped and picked up some taper candles and holders from the dollar store. I had been planning a meal for several days and after I picked up the kids I set to start our meal. MarocBaba worked evenings and I knew I would have just enough time to get the kids fed, bathed and tucked in before I had to finish the meal. I hurried to get everything together. The menu was pretty simple, it was this garlic bruschetta, cheese stuffed chicken breasts and chocolate covered strawberries. I covered our coffee table with a red tablecloth and set up the taper candles, set out the plates and waited, and waited. I was actually really nervous! When he finally came home and saw dinner on the table and the house dark a huge smile came across his face. Not to mention, the meal turned out really good.
Since the first time making this very easy appetizer it’s been his first choice when I ask him what he’d like. If by some chance you’re a guy looking for an easy appetizer to impress your lady *wink wink* this just might be it.
A note – I’ve made this with both raw and cooked shrimp. I think that it really tastes much better when you use raw shrimp, but if all you’ve got is the pre-cooked variety, reduce the cooking time and only toss it in to warm up the shrimp.
- 1/2 lb raw black tiger shrimp, de-veined, shelled, and cut into small pieces
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp crushed garlic (add more if you love garlic!)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup cooked corn (I thaw frozen corn)
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- palmful of chopped flat leaf parsley
- salt to taste
- toasted rounds or points of bread
In a saute pan, heat the butter and oil on medium heat. Add the garlic and stir so that the garlic doesn’t burn.
Add the shrimp, lemon juice and lemon zest, continuing to stir until the shrimp turns pink.
Reduce the heat to low and mix in the parsley and cayenne pepper.
Finally mix together the shrimp, tomatoes and corn. Taste and add a pinch of salt if needed.
Toast rounds or points of bread. Top with the shrimp mixture.
See, I told you it was easy!
The rest of the #SundaySupper team is making great dishes this week too. Check out (and try) some of these fantastic recipes – your sweetie will thank you!
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Breakfasts, Apps & Main Dishes:
- Asparagus, Clam & Bay Shrimp Pasta from Galactopdx
- Bacon Double Cheese Burger Bites from In the Kitchen with KP
- Cheese Stuffed Cannelloni from Curious Cuisiniere
- Fried Heart Pizza from Mooshu Jenne
- Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta from MarocMama
- Green Olive, Goat Cheese & Basil Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Indian Shrimp Pulao from Soni’s Food
- Individual Beef “Phyll-ingtons” from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ranch, Bacon and Cheese Crisps from Daily Dish Recipes
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Rissóis de Camarão | Portuguese Shrimp Dumplings from Family Foodie
- Spicy Red Cabbage Quiche | Veggie Quiche Recipe from Masala Herb
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Sweet Eats:
- Banana Bourbon Blondies from The Messy Baker
- Banana Cream Napoleon from Food Lust People Love
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Brown Butter Rolo Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies from Damn Delicious
- Cherry Pie Hearts from Home Cooking Memories
- Chocolate Baumkuchen from Webicurean
- Chocolate Bread Pudding from La Cocina de Leslie
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Baileys Banana Cream Sauce from The Lovely Pantry
- Chocolate Covered Bacon from I Run For Wine
- Chocolate Covered Stuffed Strawberries from Country Girl in the Village
- Chocolate Mousse from Mom, What’s For Dinner?
- Chocolate Roll filled with Nutella Cream from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Truffles from The Wimpy Vetegarian
- Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream with Cherry Sauce from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas with Chocolate Sauce from The Roxx Box
- Coconut Sweetheart Cookies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coeur a la Creme from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Mints from Simply Gourmet
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Mousse with Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Torte from Kelly Bakes
- Deliciously Baked & Festively Glazed Mini-Donuts from Mangoes and Chutney
- #GlutenFree Chocolate Almond Cloudless Cake from Cooking Underwriter
- Heart Shaped White Chocolate Cakes with Raspberry Cream from Noshing with the Nolands
- Homemade Cherry Mash Candies from Juanita’s Cocina
- Maple-Date Bars from Diabetic Foodie
- Meyer Lemon Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Samoa Bundt Cakes from She Likes Ruffles, He Likes Truffles
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake from Gotta Get Baked
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Pistachio and Chocolate Souffle from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Raspberry Custard Tart from Kudos Kitchen
- Raw Fudge Love from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red Velvet French Macarons with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Red Velvet Fudge from What Smells So Good?
- Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars from Chocolate Moosey
- Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting from The Urban Mrs.
- Strawberry Shortcake! from The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Valentine Cake Hearts from Ninja Baking
- Tres Leches Tea Cakes with Honey Riesling Soaked Fruit from Neighborfood
- Valentine’s Bakewell Tarts from Happy Baking Days
- Valentines Chocolate Apples from Big Bear’s Wife
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Drinks:
- Blood Orange Vodka Martinis from The Catholic Foodie
- Bloody Raspberry Cocktail from My Cute Bride
- Strawberry Gin Fizz from girlichef
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Tablescape: A Romantic Table For Two Please fromAn Appealing Plan
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, February 10th to talk all about Valentine’s eats and treats! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos!
- 42This is an exciting week for me and MarocMama, it's a full week of olive love! It should come as no surprise to many that we eat a lot of olives. Morocco is well known for their olives and olive oil. I always come home with kilos of them in my suitcase. But they only…
- 42See that? It’s probably one of the most recognizable symbols around the world. I’ve always dreamed of the day I made it to France to see L’tour Eiffel up close and personal. On our way to Morocco we had a 13 hour layover in Paris and there was no chance we were spending it…
- 40One thing this Ramadan has brought for me is the testing out of several new appetizers. I'll admit my repetoire in this department is limited but luckily I've tried several new things. I'm going to be posting several of them over the next few days. First up is a cheesy puffy appetizer. I originally saw…
- 40Particularly appetizers that involve creamy mozzerella cheese and buttery puff pastry. Not that I discriminate but these are good. They're fast and easy and you'll be popping one after another - no lie. I scooped up some puff pastry to make these appetizers in honor of the NFC Championship game two weeks ago. They were…