MarocMama

A Fearless Guide to Food and Travel

Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta for Your Valentine #SundaySupper Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta for Your Valentine #SundaySupper

garlic shrimp bruschetta

Thursday is Valentine’s Day, an (in my opinion) over-hyped, commercialized holiday – at least where we live. you might be wondering why in the world I’m blogging about this then. I think that any opportunity we have to show the ones we love our appreciation we should do it.  In my life, that means cooking a meal loaded with love. There is one appetizer that I know will always put a smile on MarocBaba’s face.  It’s so simple and sometimes I wonder why I don’t make it more often. Then again maybe if I did it would be less special?  So how did I discover his love for this dish?  Well that’s an interesting story…

In 2007, we had been married for almost a year and were living in Washington D.C.  My cooking skills were still a bit on the rough side but I truly made an effort to prepare great meals. We had only lived in the area for about 6 months and didn’t really have any friends. Our kids were very young and both of us were working long hours just to get by. Even if we would have known where to go for a night out, we couldn’t afford a babysitter (or to pay for dinner!). On my way home from work that night I stopped and picked up some taper candles and holders from the dollar store.  I had been planning a meal for several days and after I picked up the kids I set to start our meal. MarocBaba worked evenings and I knew I would have just enough time to get the kids fed, bathed and tucked in before I had to finish the meal. I hurried to get everything together.  The menu was pretty simple, it was this garlic bruschetta, cheese stuffed chicken breasts and chocolate covered strawberries. I covered our coffee table with a red tablecloth and set up the taper candles, set out the plates and waited, and waited.  I was actually really nervous! When he finally came home and saw dinner on the table and the house dark a huge smile came across his face. Not to mention, the meal turned out really good.

Since the first time making this very easy appetizer it’s been his first choice when I ask him what he’d like.  If by some chance you’re a guy looking for an easy appetizer to impress your lady *wink wink* this just might be it.

A note – I’ve made this with both raw and cooked shrimp.  I think that it really tastes much better when you use raw shrimp, but if all you’ve got is the pre-cooked variety, reduce the cooking time and only toss it in to warm up the shrimp.

Ingredients

• 1/2 lb raw black tiger shrimp, de-veined, shelled, and cut into small pieces
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp crushed garlic (add more if you love garlic!)
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 cup cooked corn (I thaw frozen corn)
  • 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
  • palmful of chopped flat leaf parsley
  • salt to taste
  • toasted rounds or points of bread

Directions

In a saute pan, heat the butter and oil on medium heat.  Add the garlic and stir so that the garlic doesn’t burn.

Add the shrimp, lemon juice and lemon zest, continuing to stir until the shrimp turns pink.

Reduce the heat to low and mix in the parsley and cayenne pepper.

Finally mix together the shrimp, tomatoes and corn. Taste and add a pinch of salt if needed.

Toast rounds or points of bread.  Top with the shrimp mixture.

See, I told you it was easy!

The rest of the #SundaySupper team is making great dishes this week too.  Check out (and try) some of these fantastic recipes – your sweetie will thank you!

#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Breakfasts, Apps & Main Dishes:

#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Sweet Eats:

#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Drinks:

#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Tablescape:  A Romantic Table For Two Please fromAn Appealing Plan

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, February 10th to talk all about Valentine’s eats and treats!  We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world.  Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun.  Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.  Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos!

Did you enjoy this article?

Signup today and receive our free monthly newsletter and special updates! We will never share or sell your email address.

You May Also Like

• 57
    I am not a seafood fan, at least I wasn’t a seafood fan. I have a very good friend who is from Casablanca and last year for Ramadan she made briouats with shrimp and fish. I turned up my nose at first but after eating one I was hooked. So as I began to prepare…
    Tags: shrimp, seafood, red, appetizers
  • 42
    This is an exciting week for me and MarocMama, it's a full week of olive love!  It should come as no surprise to many that we eat a lot of olives. Morocco is well known for their olives and olive oil.  I always come home with kilos of them in my suitcase.  But they only…
    Tags: cheese, butter, garlic, love, cream, appetizers
  • 42
      See that? It’s probably one of the most recognizable symbols around the world. I’ve always dreamed of the day I made it to France to see L’tour Eiffel up close and personal. On our way to Morocco we had a 13 hour layover in Paris and there was no chance we were spending it…
    Tags: cheese, appetizers

Amanda Mouttaki

Curious world traveling, mom of two busy boys, foodie at heart, addicted to social media and lover of all things Moroccan.

• Karen Hartzell (@InTheKitchenKP)

February 17, 2013 #2 Author

YUM! 3 of my favorite things in the world…shrimp, garlic and bread! Sounds like the perfect appetizer for a special meal.

• Anne @ Webicurean

February 16, 2013 #3 Author

Yum! My hubby doesn’t eat seafood, so if I make it, I’ll have to eat the whole thing. Hmmm maybe that’s not such a bad idea :)

• Tara

February 15, 2013 #4 Author

I love when bruschetta strays away from the traditional tomato based.

• Bea

February 12, 2013 #5 Author

Such sweet memories and wonderful dish! Here is to a Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your loved ones :)

• Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere

February 12, 2013 #6 Author

I agree that Valentines Day gets seriously over-hyped, but doing special things for those you love should be a regular thing.
    These appetizers sound delicious. My hubby can’t do shrimp, but I may have to make these to show myself a bit of love :).

• Angie @ Big Bear’s Wife

February 11, 2013 #7 Author

I agree that Valentines day is a overhyped/commercialized holiday but I still kinda like it. We don’t go all out, but it gives me an excuse to make my hubby a sweet valentines meal haha and request that he be lovey dovey all day LOL. I love this Shrimp bruschetta! Perfect for #SundaySupper

• marocmama

February 12, 2013 #8 Author

It is a great excuse for a little extra lovey-ness!

• Nancy @ gottagetbaked

February 11, 2013 #9 Author

Amanda, I feel the same way as you do about Valentine’s Day. If the Husband and I celebrate, it’s at home together with a home-cooked meal. I love the story about one of your first meals in Washington together and how cozy, intimate and delicious it turned out. This bruschetta has everything I love.

• marocmama

February 12, 2013 #10 Author

I’d love to see a commercial sometime about spending time with your significant other and not just purchasing “things” for them. Time means so much more than objects.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood

February 11, 2013 #12 Author

YUM!! Garlic and shrimp is a no-fail combo. I love dishes like this that are quick to throw together but still feel fancy.

• marocmama

February 12, 2013 #13 Author

They’re the best right?

• Jennie @themessybakerblog

February 11, 2013 #14 Author

That night sounds so special, and this bruschetta looks delicious.

• Stacy

February 11, 2013 #15 Author

When my girls were little, I used to fix bruschetta as an afternoon snack on Sundays and it’s one of our special menu items on Christmas Eve and New Years so this recipe fits right in for Valentines’ Day as well. Pinning this one to try on Thursday, which happens to be the start of weekend here. Perfect!

• marocmama

February 12, 2013 #16 Author

Love that you used to do bruschetta with your girls! I’ve enjoyed following your blog since joining #SundaySupper. Dubai is on our “must visit” places – one day we’ll get there 😉

• Stacy

February 12, 2013 #17 Author

I hope you do get here one day and that I am still here when you do! I am glad that I found your blog too. We all have so much to share – not just food but experiences as well. :)

• Liz

February 11, 2013 #18 Author

What great memories of a wonderful Valentine’s Day surprise for your hubby. Have you ever made this as an entree? It sounds SO good!

• marocmama

February 12, 2013 #19 Author

We’ve certainly eaten enough of it to be considered a main dish! I think it would be great mixed into pasta and served warm or cold.

• susan

February 11, 2013 #20 Author

What a simple, easy and tasty appetizer!

• kathia

February 11, 2013 #21 Author

Supper easy recipe.

• Katie

February 11, 2013 #22 Author

I love an easy yet delicious appetizer to start off Valentine’s Day dinner! YUM!

• Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts

February 10, 2013 #23 Author

What a great appetizer! Love the story of early Valentine’s Days – so cute!

• marocmama

February 12, 2013 #24 Author

It’s funny they always tend to be the most memorable though at the time feel like a stepping stone to bigger things. Looking back the simpler times have such wonderful memories.

• The Ninja Baker

February 10, 2013 #26 Author

Awesome recipe, Amanda. Love that your bruschetta is fairly easy but oh so elegant!

• marocmama

February 12, 2013 #27 Author

Thanks for stopping by – it’s easy to make but always a winner!

• Sarah

February 10, 2013 #28 Author

garlic ANYTHING is a win in my books!

• marocmama

February 12, 2013 #29 Author

Garlic makes the world better in my opinion!

• Katy

February 10, 2013 #30 Author

Now, that sounds like what Valentine’s Day should be about! Great recipe, this sounds like such a delicious appetizer!

• Soni

February 10, 2013 #31 Author

Aww that’s such a sweet story!I love how simple this dish is and so delicious!I love Shrimp and cannot wait to try :)

• marocmama

February 12, 2013 #32 Author

Thanks so much – hope you love it as much as we do.

• Shelby | Diabetic Foodie

February 10, 2013 #34 Author

Great story! Whenever I try something like that, hubs is always late :) Love the addition of corn.

• marocmama

February 12, 2013 #35 Author

I think they must have a sixth sense that something is happening!

• katie

February 10, 2013 #36 Author

oh these sound fantastic!

• Megan – I Run For Wine

February 10, 2013 #37 Author

YUM! This sounds absolutely fantastic.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian

February 10, 2013 #39 Author

I love your Valentine’s story! The best dinners are those that are from the heart :-) I love the ease of this bruschetta! Great flavors.

• Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips

February 10, 2013 #43 Author

I have never seen bruschetta like this. Sounds sooo good!

• Conni @FoodieArmyWife

February 10, 2013 #45 Author

What a sweet story! I don’t care at all about V-Day… so I totally get where you are coming from!

• krayl @ An Appealing Plan

February 10, 2013 #46 Author

This looks super easy to make! And filled with love. Happy Valentines Day!

• Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom

February 10, 2013 #47 Author

Oh my goodness! Your story sounds just like me and my husband and our family. . I had no cooking skills when we got married (I always joke that I know for fact that he didn’t marry me for my cooking skills :P) and it wasn’t until the birth of our 2nd daughter, while I was still on maternity leave that I dove into cooking and suddenly, my interest in cooking grew. . thank you for sharing this lovely story. . makes this Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta even more special, love it! :)

• Shannon @VillageGirlBlog

February 10, 2013 #52 Author

Yum! This looks fantastic!

• Renee

February 10, 2013 #55 Author

I prefer using raw shrimp in recipes too. The flavor is so much better.

• Paula @ Vintage Kitchen

February 10, 2013 #57 Author

Sweet story! Food is always a great way to share a moment, and who doesn´t like a bruschetta? Have a great sunday!

• Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb

February 10, 2013 #59 Author

aww that’s a cute story. Your husband is so lucky to have such a wonderful wife. I am thinking of doing something too this year. Valentines day is really not considered anything here or in the European mountains. I think so I need to send my husband to get some prawns and then I ll surprise him with your Bruschetta as appetizer. Sounds like a plan! =)

• Hezzi-D

February 10, 2013 #66 Author

I love bruschetta and when you add shrimp to it? Yes please!

• Laura | Small Wallet, Big Appetite

February 10, 2013 #68 Author

I agree, recipes like this are so much better when you start off with raw shrimp. I never thought to make a shrimp bruschetta, it looks like I have missed out.