MarocMama

A Fearless Guide to Food and Travel

Polish Hunter’s Stew {Bigos} for #SundaySupper Polish Hunter’s Stew {Bigos} for #SundaySupper

Polish Hunter Stew

One of the best things that happened last year in my blogging world was finding and becoming a part of #SundaySupper. I’ve long felt that family meals are of terrible importance and the mission of #SundaySupper is just that – bringing families together.  This week is the one year anniversary of this movement beginning.  In honor of this achievement contributors were encouraged to select a recipe that was blogged by another contributor in the last year.  It was a really hard choice but the recipe I chose seemed to fit perfectly.

When I first became a contributor I was assigned a mentor.  My mentor happened to be Melanie who published the blog From Fast Food to Fresh Food. On the surface you might think we have very little in common, in fact we have many differences however we also have a ton in common (including only about 100 miles between us geographically!) We were both raised in Wisconsin and hearty Midwestern roots.  We also both have been able to grow beyond the sometimes narrow-mindedness exhibited by many around us. Melanie helped me a lot when I first joined #SundaySupper and so I wanted to make one of her recipes, but which to choose?

I’m doing a 21 day cleanse right now and it’s chock full of fresh fruits and vegetables which are hard to come by in a Midwestern winter unless you’re willing to fork over an arm and a leg. When I saw this recipe for Bigos and the ingredients that made it up the first thing I thought was, now THAT is a Midwestern dish. The flavors in this dish are a reminder of my childhood.  It actually brought back a lot of memories I had tucked away a long time ago. I spend a lot of time exploring Middle Eastern and Moroccan food and flavors but I haven’t really spent much time on the recipes of me heritage. I want to change that this year.  So while I will keep blogging Moroccan recipes you can expect to see others that are from my heritage.

You can find Melanie’s original recipe for Bigos here, but I’ll post the recipe as I’ve changed it to be gluten-free, halal and a slow cooker meal.

Ingredients

• 6 slices of Turkey bacon
  • 4 Andouille Chicken Sausages
  • 1 lb of beet stew meat
  • rice flour for dredging
  • oil for frying
  • 2 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp dash of Worcestershire sauce
  • 5 cups beef broth

Directions

Slice the turkey slices into pieces and cook in a large skillet, until it turns a light brown.  Do not let it turn crispy.  Remove the bacon and add to slow cooker.

Next, slice the chicken sausage into 1 inch pieces and add to slow cooker. Clean and cube beef.  Dredge the pieces of beef with rice flour.  Add 1 tsp of oil to the large skillet and turn to medium heat.  When the oil is sizzling, add the pieces of meat and brown on all sides.  Once this is complete, transfer the beef to the slow cooker.

Next, add into the slow cooker the garlic, onion, carrots, mushrooms, and brussle sprouts as well as the bay leaf, basil, dill, paprika, salt, pepper, and tomato paste.

Mix everything around to combine well.  Finally add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth, mixing one more time.  Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours^.  Serve over mashed potatoes or if you’d like to make this a one pot dish, add the potatoes into the slow cooker as well.

*Note: This cooked for almost 12 hours in my slow cooker as we went out and I forgot it was still on. The longer it cooks the more tender the meat gets! This can also be easily frozen and reheated.

Want to see what the rest of the #SundaySupper team is making?

Sunday Supper Appetizers:

Sunday Supper Soups and Breads:

Sunday Supper Main Dishes:

Sunday Supper Veggies:

Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks:

Sunday Supper Breakfast Faves:

Sunday Supper Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Did you enjoy this article?

Signup today and receive our free monthly newsletter and special updates! We will never share or sell your email address.

You May Also Like

• 80
     I find myself using my slow cooker and more and more these days.  This recipe was a twist on a simple recipe I found in a slow cooker cookbook.  I made it last week when we were going out of town for the day and expecting dinner that evening.  It turned out great and made…
    Tags: cooker, slow, dish, main
  • 72
    I've been using my slow cooker a lot lately.  So much so that MarocBaba finally said to me at the end of last week, "Ok enough with that machine now!"  It makes my life so much easier, and I am rarely disapointed.  Not to mention the kids have not rejected a single meal.  When I…
    Tags: slow, cooker, dish, main
  • 70
    There is one Moroccan dish that is an absolute favorite of mine.  It's called Rafisa and is usually made after a babies birth.  It uses a spice called fenugreek seeds which I've heard help with milk production in new mothers.  My guess is this is where the connection is.  I love love love chicken rafisa…
    Tags: cooker, slow, dish, main

Amanda Mouttaki

Curious world traveling, mom of two busy boys, foodie at heart, addicted to social media and lover of all things Moroccan.

• Bea

January 20, 2013 #5 Author

This looks like a very satisfying and yummy dish :)

• Faye Leong

January 18, 2013 #6 Author

This is a perfect dish for cold weather! Wonderful Bigos!

• Sarah

January 18, 2013 #7 Author

You have a wonderful mentor. I love Melanie! She has the funniest humor and I love her recipes. I pinned this dish too when she made it. You are making me to want some of this dish right now. And I love your healthy swaps in the recipe. Perfect for my new healthy life style! Great job!

• Jennie @themessybakerblog

January 18, 2013 #8 Author

Mmm, this looks so good. I can smell it from here.

• Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom)

January 17, 2013 #9 Author

Mmmm…I love a good stew recipe…especially a slow cooker one!

• Nancy @ gottagetbaked

January 16, 2013 #10 Author

Sunday Supper has been one of the best things to happen to me in the last year too. I’m so thankful to be a part of this inspirational, supportive group. I’ve never had bigos before but I was salivating while reading the delicious list of ingredients. It looks fabulous – hearty, warm and comforting.

• Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen

January 15, 2013 #11 Author

This looks wonderful!!

• Laura | Small Wallet, Big Appetite

January 15, 2013 #12 Author

I have been so interested in trying this dish ever since Melanie first published it, such wonderful flavours. Good luck with your cleanse I know it can be really hard to do when veggies are harder to come by.

• Sarah

January 14, 2013 #13 Author

Can never go wrong with a good stew IMHO. Great work on the GF too

• Soni

January 14, 2013 #14 Author

Oh,I love such hearty wholesome meals especially at this time of the year!The flavors sound fantastic with the sausages,meat and veggies!Would love to try it for sure :)

• The Ninja Baker

January 14, 2013 #15 Author

Love my veggies so very much appreciate your sharing of this stew recipe.

And very intrigued and looking forward to your posts about Moroccan foods, customs and culture à la American =)

• Laura

January 14, 2013 #16 Author

Yup that is my heritage too! And not so far off from tagines really, just minus the spices. Slow cooked meat and veggies. Yum.

• Liz

January 14, 2013 #17 Author

I’ve made bigos before, but it never looked this good! I need to try your recipe…this would be a hubby approved dish :)

• Renee

January 13, 2013 #18 Author

A great stew and nice you gave a gluten free alternative. It was wonderful to hear how you connected with your Sunday Supper mentor and how you have enjoyed being a part of the movement.

• veronica gantley

January 13, 2013 #19 Author

I sure could go for a big bowl of this right now. Looks hearty and delish!

• kelly @ kellybakes

January 13, 2013 #20 Author

It’s wonderful to be able to connect with other people through heritage, traditions and food! My mom is half Polish and though we don’t have many passed down recipes, I learned how to make pierogi and galobki to reconnect with that side of my family. I love beef stew and the combination of flavors in this sounds right up my alley. It’s safe to say that I’ll be adding this to my list of borrowed foods too!

• Lane @ Supper for a Steal

January 13, 2013 #21 Author

Such a hearty and delicious dish for the winter! Awesome selection.

• Martin D. Redmond

January 13, 2013 #22 Author

It’s uncharacteristically cold here in California this week. Wish I had a big heaping bowl of this delicious stew! It’s look’s fantastic, and I like the turkey bacon chicken andouille sausage addition!

• Paula @ Vintage Kitchen

January 13, 2013 #23 Author

I like stews so much, this is a real find! So many flavors, it sounds so wonderful!

• Conni Smith

January 13, 2013 #25 Author

Oh that is totally a midwestern dish! I’m also from Wisconsin – I grew up in Beloit, and most of my relatives all still live there.

• Karen Hartzell (@InTheKitchenKP)

January 13, 2013 #32 Author

Stews are always perfect for chilly weather. This one sounds delicious and hearty.

• Jen @JuanitasCocina

January 13, 2013 #34 Author

I loved Melanie’s recipe then, and I love this one! Your version looks amazing!

• Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts

January 13, 2013 #36 Author

I am from Wisconsin too!! What a great stew, so hearty and comforting!

• Tara

January 13, 2013 #38 Author

What a lovely looking stew, so comforting with wonderful ingredients!!

• Heather @girlichef

January 13, 2013 #39 Author

This is definitely some good ol’ Midwestern food – looks hearty, comforting, and perfect for this January weather!

• Pam @ The Meltaways

January 13, 2013 #40 Author

This sounds absolutely delicious! Putting it on my short list to make! Great pick for this week!!

• Melanie from Fast Food to Fresh Food

January 13, 2013 #44 Author

I’m so honored that you picked my recipe! Such a lovely post, and yes– we have so much in common despite what people may think on the surface. It’s been an honor to get to know you better! Re: the recipe- I was happy to see you make it halal, but I never thought to make it in a slow cooker. Very interesting! I may try that next– may even try making it halal (kosher) so that I can take it to our next congregational potluck! Thanks again for choosing my recipe!

• Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb

January 13, 2013 #46 Author

Bigos sounds very interesting, a dish that I d like to try once. Somehow I hadn’t heard of it before, or maybe I must have missed it. Thanks for sharing! =)

• Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers

January 13, 2013 #50 Author

What a wonderful dish and so creative!! Looks delish!!