As a child, each Valentine’s Day my mom would make my sister and I something special for breakfast, like heart shaped pancakes or pink milik and had always put together a big Valentine gift. It wasn’t something fancy, not even a toy but usually some of our favorite candy and a card letting us know how much she and I my dad loved us. It was always my favorite Valentine. School parties were fun and writing out Valentine’s to friends was always a process I had to start weeks before; selecting just the right cards, picking the best candy to attach, perfect. I have to say as a mom I fail miserably in this category. I’m just not very good with details. I can make my kids delicious things to eat but the rest of it, not so much.
My kids love muffins and so I have been playing with different techniques, ingredients, and sizes. So far, I haven’t made a batch that they disliked – these are no different.
Our family in 2005 (top) and 2014 (bottom)
- • 2 cups all purpose flour
- • 2 tsp baking soda
- • ¼ cup oil
- • ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- • ½ cup sugar
- • ¾ cup milk
- • 1 egg
- • 1 tsp vanilla extract
- • 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup strawberries, tops removed
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking soda, and sugar.
- Whisk, oil, greek yogurt, milk, egg, and vanilla extract and combine with dry ingredients.
- In a pan add strawberries,1 Tbsp sugar, and 1/4 cup water.
- Heat on low until the strawberries begin so soften and fall apart. You can leave them in pieces if you like chunks, or blend to a liquid.
- Blend strawberries into batter.
- Grease muffin tins or line with parchment paper and fill each ½ way with batter.
- Roughly chop hazelnuts and sprinkle the nuts onto the tops of the muffin batter.
- Bake for 25min – 30 minutes until a knife comes out clean.
Be a part of the MarocMama family!
Sign up for our newsletter today.
You'll get a monthly update + features that won't be on the blog!