One of the best things that happened last year in my blogging world was finding and becoming a part of #SundaySupper. I’ve long felt that family meals are of terrible importance and the mission of #SundaySupper is just that – bringing families together. This week is the one year anniversary of this movement beginning. In honor of this achievement contributors were encouraged to select a recipe that was blogged by another contributor in the last year. It was a really hard choice but the recipe I chose seemed to fit perfectly.
When I first became a contributor I was assigned a mentor. My mentor happened to be Melanie who published the blog From Fast Food to Fresh Food. On the surface you might think we have very little in common, in fact we have many differences however we also have a ton in common (including only about 100 miles between us geographically!) We were both raised in Wisconsin and hearty Midwestern roots. We also both have been able to grow beyond the sometimes narrow-mindedness exhibited by many around us. Melanie helped me a lot when I first joined #SundaySupper and so I wanted to make one of her recipes, but which to choose?
I’m doing a 21 day cleanse right now and it’s chock full of fresh fruits and vegetables which are hard to come by in a Midwestern winter unless you’re willing to fork over an arm and a leg. When I saw this recipe for Bigos and the ingredients that made it up the first thing I thought was, now THAT is a Midwestern dish. The flavors in this dish are a reminder of my childhood. It actually brought back a lot of memories I had tucked away a long time ago. I spend a lot of time exploring Middle Eastern and Moroccan food and flavors but I haven’t really spent much time on the recipes of me heritage. I want to change that this year. So while I will keep blogging Moroccan recipes you can expect to see others that are from my heritage.
You can find Melanie’s original recipe for Bigos here, but I’ll post the recipe as I’ve changed it to be gluten-free, halal and a slow cooker meal.
- 6 slices of Turkey bacon
- 4 Andouille Chicken Sausages
- 1 lb of beet stew meat
- rice flour for dredging
- oil for frying
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 6-10 brussle sprouts, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 5 cups beef broth
Slice the turkey slices into pieces and cook in a large skillet, until it turns a light brown. Do not let it turn crispy. Remove the bacon and add to slow cooker.
Next, slice the chicken sausage into 1 inch pieces and add to slow cooker. Clean and cube beef. Dredge the pieces of beef with rice flour. Add 1 tsp of oil to the large skillet and turn to medium heat. When the oil is sizzling, add the pieces of meat and brown on all sides. Once this is complete, transfer the beef to the slow cooker.
Next, add into the slow cooker the garlic, onion, carrots, mushrooms, and brussle sprouts as well as the bay leaf, basil, dill, paprika, salt, pepper, and tomato paste.
Mix everything around to combine well. Finally add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth, mixing one more time. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours^. Serve over mashed potatoes or if you’d like to make this a one pot dish, add the potatoes into the slow cooker as well.
*Note: This cooked for almost 12 hours in my slow cooker as we went out and I forgot it was still on. The longer it cooks the more tender the meat gets! This can also be easily frozen and reheated.
Want to see what the rest of the #SundaySupper team is making?
Sunday Supper Appetizers:
- Hot Spinach Parmesan Dip by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Comfy Cuisine
- So Simple Pizza Puffs by The Weekend Gourmet inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
- Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Soups and Breads:
- Lasagna Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup by Webicurean inspired by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Soup by Damn Delicious inspired by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Honey Butter Dinner Rolls by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Chicken Noodle Soup by Big Bears Wife inspired by My Catholic Kitchen
- Tomato Florentine Soup by Mama Mommy Mom inspired by The Meltaways
- Chicken Soup with Dumplings by Comfy Cuisine inspired by The Messy Baker
- Coconut Curry Chicken Soup by My Trials in the Kitchen inspired by Damn Delicious
Sunday Supper Main Dishes:
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce by Supper for a Steal inspired by Family Foodie
- (GlutenFree) Chicken Bruschetta by The Meltaways inspired by Family Foodie
- Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew by Kimchi Mom inspired by Family Foodie
- Lentils and Chorizo Stew by Galactosemia in PDX inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Carnitas Pizza w/ Chipotle-Avocado Crema by girlichef inspired by Damn Delicious
- Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas by Country Girl in the Village inspired by Webicurean
- Drunken Meatballs by Small Wallet Big Appetite inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo by Magnolia Days inspired by Family Foodie
- Dorie’s Chicken-in-the-Pot by Hip Foodie Mom inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Pulled Pickled Pork by Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Hoisin Asian Meatballs by Gotta Get Baked inspired by Damn Delicious
- Shrimp-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes by Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinade by Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Burger with Curried Cabbage Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by Soni’s Food
- Corn and Basil Handpies by Curious Cuisiniere inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken by Cupcakes and Kale Chips inspired by The Meltaways
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili by Food Lust People Love inspired by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bigos by Maroc Mama inspired by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by From Fast Food to Fresh Food inspired by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Sweet & Tender Brisket by Daddy Knows Less inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Fish Tacos by Cookistry inspired by Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Homemade Harissa by Masala Herb inspired by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Family Foodie inspired by Kimchi Mom
- New Orleans Style White Beans & Rice by Catholic Foodie inspired by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
- Spice Rubbed Chicken Tacos with Tropical Salsa by The Urban Mrs. inspired by Family Foodie
- Mac n Cheese Cups with Pork Shoulder Ragu by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
Sunday Supper Veggies:
- Carrots au Gratin by Shockingly Delicious inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Skillet Spinach Corn with Edamame, Cilantro & Bacon Bits by The Lovely Pantry inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks:
- Chocolate Brownie Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Magnolia Days
- Mexican Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Cinnamon Apple Chimichangas by La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzle by Cravings of a Lunatic inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Cherry Tart by Happy Baking Days inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Orange Rolls by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Caramel Apple Bread by The Foodie Army Wife inspired by Fam Friends Food
- Rosettes by Simply Gourmet inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Donut Puffs by Soni’s Food inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cut-out Cookies by Basic and Delicious inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Nutella Shortbread Bars by Kelly Bakes inspired by Baker Street
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen inspired by Dinner Dishes and Desserts
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream by The Messy Baker Blog inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by Ninja Baker inspired by That Skinny Girl Can Bake
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by Vintage Kitchen inspired by girlichef
- Sweet N Spicy Roasted Spiced Nuts by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Cheesecake with Fresh Berries by An Appealing Plan inspired by The Messy Baker Blog
Sunday Supper Breakfast Faves:
- Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Oat Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Budget Friendly Breakfast Freezable Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwiches by In The Kitchen with KP inspired by Big Bear’s Wife
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen inspired by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Be a part of the MarocMama family!
Sign up for our newsletter today.
You'll get a weekly update + features that won't be on the blog!