Who doesn’t love cookies? Better yet, who doesn’t love a cookie challenge? A few weeks ago Kurt from Livefire (one of my fellow Verizon Savvy Gourmets) challenged all of us to a cookie showdown. OK it’s really not a showdown but just a fun cookie challenge. First I was going to do gluten free, but realized I already did that. Then I thought about making them spicy but it just didn’t work out. But in the bulk food aisle at the grocery store I had an epiphany. Pistachios and Figs. Yes that was it. We never (or very very rarely) get fresh figs here but dried figs are easy enough to find. With my ingredients in hand I set out to bake. Sadly they came out a bit more flat than I was hoping, though I do love how chewy they are. Just goes to show I need to step back into the non gluten-free baking ring more often. I used my Xyboard to snap this picture and as I try to do when cooking jot down a few notes in Evernote to remember for next time.
- 2c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1c semi sweet chocolate chips
- 4 dried figs chopped finely
- 1/2 c chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets, or line them with parchment paper or use a Silpat.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- Mix the sugars and butter just until thoroughly mixed, then add egg, yolk and vanilla and mix until creamy. Add the sifted ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, figs and pistachios. Drop the dough by the teaspoon on a cookie sheet, about 3 inches apart, and bake for 15-17 minutes. Leave them on the cookie sheet to cool a bit when removed from the oven - they will fall apart if you move too quickly. Allow to cool a few minutes and eat immediately. (Or save a few if you have to..)
Don’t forget you’ve still got 2 days to enter for your chance to win a Verizon hotspot and $150 giftcard! Hurry and enter!
Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post however I am a part of Verizon’s Midwest Savvy Gourmet program and am receiving complimentary product and services.
Be a part of the MarocMama family!
Sign up for our newsletter today.
You'll get a monthly update + features that won't be on the blog!