Is there anything better than a cheese dip? I think not! One of my very favorite restaurants is The Melting Pot but we live nearly two hours from the closest one. I also am always sad that the fondues I want to try inevitably have alcohol in them. Recently we were having some family members over to watch a football game and I thought what could be better than having a fondue party?! That way I could completely control what went into the dip and it would be a great way to use of a bunch of bits and pieces of fruits, vegetables and breads that I had around the house. The kids really had a great time!
Instead of using any alcohol in my fondue I used Saffron Roads’ Artisan Roasted Chicken Broth. I love the deep flavor in this broth and knew that it would complement the sharp and creamy cheese. There are so many holiday get events happening right now, I think this is a really great appetizer to put out and allow people to nibble on. It also gets conversations going in a group who don’t know each other well. It’s really very easy to make fondue and I can guarantee this will be a hit at your next party!
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- 1 lb. Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 11/2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp good quality unsalted butter
- 2-3 cups Saffron Road Artisan Chicken Broth
- ground nutmeg (optional)
- cut up apple segments
- Butter or Club Crackers
- crisp breadsticks
- rye crackers
- On the stovetop, place a heavy bottomed pan and add 2 tsp butter.
- Turn the heat to medium high and begin to stir in the flour.
- Once the butter and flour combine (it will look a bit like play dough), slowly add the chicken broth.
- Use a whisk to stir together the flour/butter mixture and the broth, removing any lumps that may have formed.
- When the liquid is free of any lumps begin to add the cheese a small handful at a time.
- Stir the mixture to allow the cheese to melt down.
- When the cheese has been completely melted serve the fondue! You also could transfer the mixture to a crock pot to keep warm until you are ready to serve.
Let the Dipping Begin!
In honor of my favorite things giveaway I’m also giving away a Saffron Road prize today! One of my new favorite things are their crunchy chickpeas. One lucky reader will win a bag of each flavor (Wasabi, Bombay Spice, and Falafel). Follow the directions in the Rafflecopter giveaway to enter.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Be a part of the MarocMama family!
Sign up for our newsletter today.
You'll get a weekly update + features that won't be on the blog!