MarocMama

eat well, travel often, dream big!

Would You Let Your Boys…MKB Telephone Tag Would You Let Your Boys…MKB Telephone Tag

My fellow Multicultural Kid Bloggers and I are doing a fun and interactive blog post today that is reminiscent of telephone tag. Here’s how it works. Each blogger asks another a question – this time we’re focusing on travel with kids – and that blogger answers in a video and asks the next person a question. No matter where you start, you’ll be able to find a link to the video asking the question and responding. Sounds fun right? Best part for me?  I get to see the lovely faces and voices behind my blogger friends.

would you let your boys

Mari of Inspired by Family asked me a question – here’s my answer!

Now it’s my turn. Click over to Cordelia of Multilingual Mama to find out how she answered my question!

Amanda Mouttaki

Curious world traveling, mom of two busy boys, foodie at heart, addicted to social media and lover of all things Moroccan.

• Leanna @ Alldonemonkey

February 28, 2014 #1 Author

Amanda, so nice to “meet” you! I loved your answer to the question. Seems like that would be a difficult but important concept for kids to learn, about when behaviors are and aren’t appropriate. Spoken like a mama with lots of experience moving from one culture to another with kids!

• Amanda Mouttaki

March 1, 2014 #2 Author

Loved “meeting’ you too! One day hopefully it’s for real!

• Ashley Steel

February 21, 2014 #3 Author

Fun video and so nice to “meet” you. Great response!

• Olena

February 19, 2014 #4 Author

I also share your position. It all depends on the situation and place. Very bright video!

• Annabelle

February 18, 2014 #5 Author

I agree. It is all about context. Loved your colourful video.

• Bronwyn Joy

February 18, 2014 #6 Author

There’s definitely times and places!

The most interesting part of this question for me is about questioning why we have certain rules and then asking if those reasons apply in different situations. Then within those reasons there’s the cultural side (attitudes to waste – should you take on local attitudes or hold to your own?) and the practical/scientific side (expected consequences – hygiene/stench – according to exactly where you’re peeing). Then often you have to weigh it all up: do the reasons you shouldn’t pee here trump your need to pee right, exactly here? An interesting introduction to ethics for the small child!

For the record, we’ve let our son (and daughter) pee publicly in various situations. I’d like to give credit to my lengthy ethical discourses for the fact neither have tried to pee anywhere inappropriately (not counting accidents), but we’ve probably just been lucky :).

• Amanda Mouttaki

February 20, 2014 #7 Author

Very good questions and I’ll admit I had to read that like 5x to wrap my head around it! For me it’s I think just part of an ingrained social behavioral/cultural code. Living somewhere that it’s deemed ok for men to just go on a wall if they have to go it’s hard to explain to kids that it’s just not ok for them to do that too.

• Cordelia

February 18, 2014 #8 Author

Oh Joy to the gorgeous colours in your video! Mine is like the grim reaper goes to bed. Fabulous. P, after discovering ‘wild wees’ in the British countryside, has been prone to just dropping her knickers on any Bangkok street to take a pee. At 5.5, I don’t think she can get away with it much longer, with the exception of 90+minute traffic jams, when we all discreetly find a way to go in the gutter in between cars.. LOL Loved your video and honest response. It’s always all about context! And so very glad I made you laugh in mine! Still amazed at anyone managing to make it through to the end. LOL

• Amanda Mouttaki

February 20, 2014 #9 Author

You’re too hard on yourself! I sometimes forget how colorful the walls of the house are- maybe too much? You always crack me up!

• Michelle

February 18, 2014 #10 Author

It is so true that we teach our kids what is culturally appropriate in different situations! Even little things like going barefoot: my kids rarely wear shoes in South Africa, but try to go into a library or grocery store in the USA without shoes: not such a good idea!

• Amanda Mouttaki

February 20, 2014 #11 Author

Yes! Here in Morocco it’s totally ok throw garbage on the street, I wonder how my kids will adjust when we go back to the US to visit and they can’t do that. Will they remember intuitively or need reminders? Time will tell!