In Morocco it’s almost unheard of to throw away bread. Even though it is consumed at least three times a day and there inevitably is bread leftover, it is saved, reused if possible and if not, put into the garbage in a separate bag. It’s then often fed to animals. Instead of letting these day-old pieces go to waste, why not instead give them a second life?
Italian Seasoned Croutons from Aimee of Like Mother Like Daughter
Homemade Croutons from Modern Christian Homemaker
Toffee Bread Pudding from Crumbs and Chaos
Croissant Bread Pudding from The Culinary Life
Slow Cooker Spiced Pear Bread Pudding from Snappy Gourmet
Leek Bread Pudding from Fifteen Spatulas
Cranberry Pistachio Bread Pudding from Taste, Love, and Nourish
Mushroom and Leek Savory Bread Pudding from Confident Cook Hesitant Baker
Other Great Ideas
Israeli Panzanella Salad from What Jew Wanna Cook
Panade with Swiss Chard and Onion from Farm Fresh Feasts
Bread Patties a la India Style – Fusion Bread Dumplings from Masala Herb
Now, want my recipe for an easy chocolate chip bread pudding? It’s a great dessert or sweet breakfast for a special occasion. You might want to double this recipe because everyone at my house was fighting for the last few bites!
- 4 cups of cubed day old bread
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- cooking spray or butter for baking tin
- Loaf pan or 8x8 baking pan
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine whole milk, cream, and eggs. Whisk until blended.
- Beat in sugar and vanilla.
- Add cubed bread to the liquid mixture. Mix bread and press into liquid to make sure the bread absorbs as much liquid as possible.
- Spray or butter baking pan.
- Pour saturated bread into the baking dish and add chocolate chips to the top. (You may want to stir the bread, but be careful as the chocolate chips tend to fall to the bottom).
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until the top of the bread is crispy. The bread pudding will remain dense but all of the liquid should be cooked through.
What’s your favorite way to use up day-old bread?
- 69This is one of the best Moroccan foods that exist - and of course it would be because essentially it's fried dough. They are so good fresh and hot with honey on top. I have recently learned to make these exactly as my mother and sister in laws would do so and have taken to…
- 67There's not much baking that goes on in this house. There are two reasons for that 1) I don't like to measure things and 2) baking usually equals something sweet and generally not good for me so I try to just avoid it altogether. I promised that I would make something this weekend for breakfasts…
- 58I usually spend every Saturday morning hanging out with the boys. Sometimes we head to the farmers market to pick up part of the groceries. Or we watch movies and eat popcorn for breakfast. As the weather is getting colder and the boys are more able to help out in the kitchen I've started to…