In Morocco it’s almost unheard of to throw away bread. Even though it is consumed at least three times a day and there inevitably is bread leftover, it is saved, reused if possible and if not, put into the garbage in a separate bag. It’s then often fed to animals. Instead of letting these day-old pieces go to waste, why not give them a second life?
Now, want my recipe for an easy chocolate chip bread pudding? It’s a great dessert or sweet breakfast for a special occasion. You might want to double this recipe because everyone at my house was fighting for the last few bites!
- 4 cups of cubed day old bread
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- cooking spray or butter for baking tin
- Loaf pan or 8x8 baking pan
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine whole milk, cream, and eggs. Whisk until blended.
- Beat in sugar and vanilla.
- Add cubed bread to the liquid mixture. Mix bread and press into liquid to make sure the bread absorbs as much liquid as possible.
- Spray or butter baking pan.
- Pour saturated bread into the baking dish and add chocolate chips to the top. (You may want to stir the bread, but be careful as the chocolate chips tend to fall to the bottom).
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until the top of the bread is crispy. The bread pudding will remain dense but all of the liquid should be cooked through.
Find some more ideas to use up all your bread!
Italian Seasoned Croutons from Aimee of Like Mother Like Daughter
Homemade Croutons from Modern Christian Homemaker
Toffee Bread Pudding from Crumbs and Chaos
Croissant Bread Pudding from The Culinary Life
Slow Cooker Spiced Pear Bread Pudding from Snappy Gourmet
Leek Bread Pudding from Fifteen Spatulas
Cranberry Pistachio Bread Pudding from Taste, Love, and Nourish
Mushroom and Leek Savory Bread Pudding from Confident Cook Hesitant Baker
Other Great Ideas
Israeli Panzanella Salad from What Jew Wanna Cook
Panade with Swiss Chard and Onion from Farm Fresh Feasts
Bread Patties a la India Style – Fusion Bread Dumplings from Masala Herb
What’s your favorite way to use up day-old bread?
You May Also Like
- 10000This is a scene from a hanut or corner store in Morocco. Hanuts are everywhere, in fact it's nearly impossible to go more than 2 blocks without coming across one. They sell all types of things but most importantly they sell bread. See the counter lined with breads? I can count at least seven different…