I’m totally tapped out on all the shopping hype over this past weekend. I even considered braving the freezing winds we had on Friday morning to trudge my way to Best Buy. I then regained my senses and took to my laptop instead. Shopping done. So let’s recap. We’ve had Black Friday and Small Business Saturday. Monday is Cyber Monday and now perhaps the best idea yet – Giving Tuesday. I’m someone that believes giving should happen all the time, but it makes sense to end the ThanksGIVING weekend with a day that’s actually about giving. So what is it all about?
- #GivingTuesday will celebrate giving and incentivize a new conversation about ways to give more, give smarter, and put giving back into the giving season.
- #GivingTuesday is a special call to action, culminating with a new national day of giving around the annual shopping and spending season and to inspire giving every day.
- #GivingTuesday will prove that the holidays can be about both giving and giving back. It will celebrate how Americans can do more with their wallets than just shop – and that we Americans can give as good as we get.
As someone who has worked in non-profit organizations, the end of the year is a hard time. Many people don’t make donations due to the other holiday spending that is happening. Sadly, this is the time of year when those funds are needed more than ever. Giving Tuesday isn’t just about logging into a website and dropping in some change, it’s a movement to spur giving of time and talent during this time of year.
What can my organization do to be involved in #GivingTuesday?
- Launch a special campaign to support your favorite cause.
- Partner with major philanthropic media channels and aggregators.
- Invite your company to match employees’ donations on that day.
- Create a dynamic online giving initiative for #GivingTuesday.
- Invite your organization to commit a portion of proceeds on #GivingTuesday to your favorite cause.
- Create a volunteering initiative.
- Invite your local retailers to add a donation to purchases for a charity for #GivingTuesday.
- Announce a donation or new initiative of your own on your blog or social media channels.
- Partner with shops to donate a portion of sales to a charity on #GivingTuesday.
- Organize a local toy drive, consignment sale or holiday goods sale to raise money and goods for charity.
- Organize a holiday bake sale or pre‐order for baked goods on #GivingTuesday which will
- be ready for the holiday.
Help us spread the message!
- Like us on Facebook ‐ www.facebook.com/GivingTuesday
- Follow us on Twitter @GivingTues or and use the #GivingTuesday hashtag
- Follow us on Pinterest ‐ http://pinterest.com/givingtuesday/giving‐quotes/
- Submit a video to our You Tube channel
- Share your favorite giving quote or image on our Tumblr
- Share our all of our social media channels in your organizational and personal social networks
- Announce your participation in #GivingTuesday to your networks and email lists
If you’d like more information about this initiative be sure to visit the #Giving Tuesday website.
Will you get involved?
What are some ways you give back during this time of year?
I am writing this post as a member of Mom Bloggers Global Team of 200 Moms for Social Good. I will be blogging about social justice issues regularly for the next year. I am not compensated in any way for this post.