During this time of year there is never a shortage of house guests, parties to attend, or events to host. Not to mention the snack requests from the kids school. It also feels like I continually am getting updates on dietary restrictions. Whatever happened to a good old chocolate chip cookie as a snack? Thankfully this recipe is easier than chocolate chip cookies and much better for you too. This is a go to recipe when you need a snack-type food as an appetizer and don’t have time to run to the store. Nearly every ingredient can be swapped for something else you have on hand in your pantry.
- 1 bag of Saffron Road Bombay Spice Crunchy Chickpeas
- Gluten-Free Rice Noodles
- Pine Nuts, or any other nut you may have on hand
- Golden Raisins
- Shredded Coconut (sweetened or not your choice)
- Gluten Free Rice or Corn cereal such as Chex
This is the fun part. Start with the base of the Bombay Spice chickpeas and then begin adding the other ingredients. The items I listed are suggestions but feel free to experiment. I tried to balance the spicy/savory chickpeas with a little bit of sweetness. When you’ve added everything mix well to combine. There is enough seasoning on the chickpeas that you won’t need to add additional. Serve in a big bowl or in small bowls scattered around the party for guests to nibble on!
I can’t help but thinking this would make a great hostess gift (or really gift for anyone!). Simply fill up a large glass jar with snack mix, tie on a cute ribbon and ta-da!
Saffron Road also carries Wasabi and Falafel flavored chickpeas that would also be excellent in snack mixes! Saffron Road is also working on developing some new flavors for chickpeas.
You can now find Saffron Road crunchy chickpeas at Whole Foods Markets around the country! While you’re there you may also want to pick up the Whole Foods Foundation 2013 calendar. It’s $3 with all proceeds to benefit poverty alleviation around the world. Inside you’ll find $40 worth of coupons including one for Saffron Road!
What new flavor of crunchy chickpeas would you love to taste?
- 68One of my favorite brands and products in the last year is Saffron Road Foods. You have seem me do some reviews and share some recipe ideas on occasion and I hope that many of you have been able to try at least one of their halal, and ethically sound products. It is so exciting…
- 56I really love taking ethnic dishes and mixing the flavors and styles with other types of foods. MarocBaba finds the thought preposterous and I pondered this difference of opinion for a long time. To me, there's no hard and fast rule about types of foods or styles that go together but for him it's very…
- 54Something about fall makes me want to throw a party! There's something about football season, cool weather, boots and sweaters that make me excited to heat up the oven and make a great meal to share. My favorite trick for throwing a great party is mixing up great homemade food with some items that are…