When we moved back to the Midwest I left behind a lot of really great friends. For many months I really felt like I would never find even a single friend let alone several. But I have been very blessed to meet several ladies that I am honored to call friends. We’ve started a little tradition of having “girls night”, and because all of us are tight on cash (who isn’t?) and have kids (hence why there’s no cash) we have our get-togethers at home. I invited them over to my house most recently for a honey and cheese party. I’ve seen tons of these parties, usually involving wine, but since we don’t drink no wine was in sight.
On the coffee table I lined up all 6 flavors of Honey Ridge Farms honey creme with their own spoon. I picked up several different kinds of crackers and sliced a fresh baguette thinly. Then on a large serving platter I arranged several kinds of cheese.
I almost had more fun picking out the different kinds of cheeses that I thought would go well with each of the honey creme flavors, than I did eating them! I choose a camabert, chevre, iberico, manchego, and fontina. We could call it a taste of Europe! The Honey Ridge Farms flavors of honey creme include;
- Clover honey (I didn’t include this one – see my previous post for a review)
- Pick up several fun flavors of honey – Honey Ridge Farms would be my choice! Remember that over 75% of grocery store honey contains no honey at all. (Source)
- Visit your local cheese shop or grocery store and talk to the deli personnel if you’re unsure about which cheeses might pair nicely. Most employees will be delighted to assist you and most likely you’ll go home with something you would have never thought of. Don’t forget to let them know if you’ve got a budget
- Next hit the cracker aisle and pick some of your favorites. I went with Wheat Thins, Ritz and Triscuits – nothing fancy there! Optionally you could pick out several types of breads in addition to or in place of the crackers.
- To pull it all together choose a space in your home that will allow everyone to access all of the items. A large dining table or even a large coffee table that everyone can gather around works well. I love to use my china plates not because the occasion calls for them but because it makes everyone feel a little fancier!
- Have FUN!!! This is especially great for new friends as it serves as a great icebreaker and a way to start conversation about a topic that is light!
What are some of your favorite entertaining ideas? If you don’t like to entertain, what is it that is not enjoyable?